A letter from Inman Race.

Texas

Many years ago, in The Star, a guy used to make regular contributions in the 'Letters to the Editor' section. He called himself Inman Race. I don't know if it was a pseudonym or his real one, but my father would read his letter, I think they were political, and always would have a duckfit so to speak.

I was too young to understand what the fuss was all about but I knew enough to get out of the way of the action. It's a bit obscure this one but I thought someone, of a age, would remember the name.

Well, for what it's worth, public records show that an Albert Inman Race was born at 52 Lofthouse Road, Owlerton on 12 February 1905. The 1911 census finds him with his father Howard Race, a razor grinder, mother Selina and two younger sisters at 25 Bostock Road, Owlerton. The 1942 Kelly's directory shows Albert Inman Race, an "A.R.P. worker" at 46 Southey Crescent. He evidently married Winifred Martin in Sheffield in Oct-Dec 1970, and died in Sheffield in Oct-Dec 1983.

Well,well, oh well,eh. Old Inman. He certainly upset my father with his views on, seemingly, all subjects from politics to the care of Rabbits. My dad would read his letters and either have a paroxysm of rage or laughter, just depended how much beer he'd had. I don't know if he set out to be controversial but he certainly did in our neck of the woods.

Thanks for the feedback hillsbro, very interesting and the strangest thing is that he married a Martin, which is our family name. You couldn't make it up, could you?

• 1 year later...

I just stumbled over this thread when I was doing a search for my Mother's maiden name. Albert Inman Race was my Grandpa and it was so good to find that he has been remembered by someone! He did indeed love writing letters - he was a working class lad and his biggest regret in life was that he hadn't been able to have an education and had left school at, I think, the age of 13. He educated himself after that, and loved books and listening opera. When I was a child, it was always a thrill to pick up a copy of a magazine in the dentist's and discover a letter to the editor from my Grandpa - he always was prolific! He did indeed marry Winifred (Aunt Win, we called her) in 1970 - she was his third wife, after Edith and Edna. He was always telling me that the most important thing in life was to get myself an education. When he died, I was about 21 I think, and still finding my way in the world, so he didn't live long enough to know that I ended up doing something that he would have loved to do - earn my living as a writer. Although not quite the writer he would like to have become - I write children's theatre and pantomimes. But I think he would still be proud. Thank you for remembering him. From Lyndsay

Similarly, long before internet forums, I used to enjoy sending letters in to the star signed with my real name to try and wind my dad up. He reads the publication from cover to cover and would often bring up my letter in passing and say he didn't agree with me. Not surprising as I would often be expressing a quite bizzarre opinion on a local issue.

It often took weeks for them to publish my letters but they almost always got in. It was an excellent bit of fun at the time.

• 6 years later...

I am Howard (Danny) Race, and Albert Inman was my father.  I am now 77 years old.

My father did write many things throught his life, and submitted a lot to the papers and the "Glossies".   These writings were rewarded by £5 a time by the news editors.

He was an ARP Warden during the war, and worked with "Heavy Rescue" teams.

He worked his way up from Labourer to Surveyor in the old SCCE.

A quiet and gentle man, he instilled in me a love of English from a very early age.

Despite his gentle nature, I understand that he used to participate in "bare knuckle" fights when the local fairgrounds came around, and used arrive home batterd and bruised but with a five pound note in his hand.   More food on the table for the kids .

It is nice to hear that people remember him  ....   He was a major influence on my life, and I still miss him.