Is Castle Market cheaper/ better than supermarkets?

peys

I got some chicken from the Market just before Christmas.

Got it home and realised it had clearly gone off and was stinking the house out.

Took it back to the stall I got it from and he unwrapped it, sniffed it then said he thought it was ok.

He gave me a refund but not before putting it into a plastic bag jammed full of chicken breasts and back in the fridge to be sold.

I should also note at no point did he wear gloves or wash his hands.

Never again!

Got it home and realised it had clearly gone off and was stinking the house out.

Took it back to the stall I got it from and he unwrapped it, sniffed it then said he thought it was ok.

He gave me a refund but not before putting it into a plastic bag jammed full of chicken breasts and back in the fridge to be sold.

Never again!

Yup, there's a particular chicken stall that I won't use either!!

Never again!

You should have reported this to the Market authorities and the environmental health.

You are doing a disservice to the couple of hundred honest hardworking stallholders in the market you should name and shame or shut up!

You should have reported this to the Market authorities and the environmental health.

You are doing a disservice to the couple of hundred honest hardworking stallholders in the market you should name and shame or shut up!

Unfortunately, forum rules no longer allow for naming and shaming due to the web site owner being held responsible if theres a libel suit.

Exactly. Whatever the merits of the produce, Castle Market is not a pleasant place to do your shopping in my opinion.

Yeah,its a bit scruffy but if you were to buy £30 worth of meat fish etc,you would save £15 in 30 minutes.Thats £30 per hour for enduring a shabby environment, which is a better wage than most people get(it equates to £60k pa)-nearlt as much as docots and dentists and 5 times the NMW!

Like everyone I have noticed my weekly shopping bill has increased rather alot lately. I do all of my shopping at morrisons at the moment but I am spending more than I can really afford and much more than say a year ago. So I was wondering if castle market is cheaper than the supermarkets for meat and veg? Ideally I would go and buy enough meat for a month and freeze it, as I do not usually go into town. Is it cheaper? And also is the quality good? Or does anyone have recommendations of where to stock up on good meat, cheaper than the supermarkets?

It is a lot cheaper than Super Markets.

My family shop there for FRESH! food every week.

Just keep your eye on the stalls with the big queues and you will know who has the best products.

Remember that a large proportion of shall we say yuppie type Sheffielders do not waste any opportunity to slag the Market its customers and its traders so make your own mind up you will not regret it.

Never again!

Surely this could happen in a reputable supermarket-albeit benind the scenes!

Archived