Is Castle Market cheaper/ better than supermarkets?

peys

Slightly off topic,but we get our meat at source,(the farmer)25 chicken breast,(good size)for £20. 4 nice pieces of quality steak £10. etc: The difference in quality is by far more superior than the pumped-up water meat products the big stores churn out.

Which farm do you get this from?

It's just a pity our markets are in such a run down part of town where it's not very pleasant to go. I hope the same quality and choice can be kept and even improved when they move to The Moor.

Exactly. Whatever the merits of the produce, Castle Market is not a pleasant place to do your shopping in my opinion.

When he can my grandad goe to the market, the Fruit and Veg is definetly better, the meat is cheaper and to be honest seems fresher and more tastier. pie, cheese ect you get alot better qaulity for alot less aswel. You can get some really nice bread cakes aswel

Its better quality. I havent been for ages though! Going on a year since I last bought from there but lots of the stalls used to sell marinated chicken legs and stuff - now they were nice. As for which stall to go to, I used to use a small one that was if you go down the ramp on the back wall but he moved into the middle, if you go down the ramp, and its the 2nd or 3rd row he was on there - dont know the name! Another fave is one on the right at the bottom of the ramp turn right, go past the steps and the first one past the steps :)

We use Stuarts for fruit and veg, and Micks or Tonys for meat which are the first left at bottom of ramp, or 1st butchers on right after bread stall at the bottom of the ramp.

We also get our cheese and eggs from the market too.

I agree that the scroat's outside do put folk of going, but it seems the police prefer 'em where they can see 'em <sigh> try to ignore them, they have never bothered us.

Defo cheaper,i used to get chicken from market about £12 will get you 8 or 9 breasts and they are really big (no pun intended) about 3 times the size of supermarket breasts.

but that probably means they are very poor quality (and perhaps even pumped with water etc) - so not really cheaper in the long run.

Slightly off topic,but we get our meat at source,(the farmer)25 chicken breast,(good size)for £20. 4 nice pieces of quality steak £10. etc: The difference in quality is by far more superior than the pumped-up water meat products the big stores churn out.

sounds good - is it the one at Rivelin?

There is a rough element but never bothered me. Don't just buy the meat. The fish is great and such a variety.

Oh yea, I agree the fish is great too!! Gotta love seatrout at 99p per pound .... yummy cooked in the oven stuffed with a bit of butter, dill and slices of lemon ...... :love::love:

Archived