Is Castle Market cheaper/ better than supermarkets?

peys

The market is - I would guess - around 30-40% cheaper than the main supermarkets for meat, fish and veg.

I think you are grossly mistaken about the difference in price especially for meat. As I will be going down there tomorrow I will take note and compare the prices with the co-op in town.

I have also noticed a trend where they are stating things like 3 packs for £5 without stating what weight the packs are. Buying packs of 20 chicken breasts for £20 sounds good but without knowing the weight its hard to compare if they are value or not. They can be bought for £5 per 1kilo in a supermarket and that give approx 5-6 breasts.

I think you are grossly mistaken about the difference in price especially for meat. As I will be going down there tomorrow I will take note and compare the prices with the co-op in town.

I have also noticed a trend where they are stating things like 3 packs for £5 without stating what weight the packs are. Buying packs of 20 chicken breasts for £20 sounds good but without knowing the weight its hard to compare if they are value or not. They can be bought for £5 per 1kilo in a supermarket and that give approx 5-6 breasts.

The packs I buy are 7.5kg I think.

You are mistaken http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923769 chicken breast fillets are anything up to £13.98 per kg at Asda

anything up to £14.98 at Waitrose https://www.waitrosedeliver.com/wdeliver/servlet/JSPs/shop/shopping_fs.jsp?siteCode=WD

and I can't find Morrisons prices online and i'm not prepared to register with tesco's just to find their prices

I took the grand kids to Castle Market this week [half term], age 8 an 11. they were amazed ,they have never been taken there by mam and dad only to meadowhell and crystal peaks.

They experianced for the first time what the real Sheffield is about and had a birthday .

This has made me realise that todays kids who have been brought up on the out of town malls do not know the slightest thing about traditional Sheffield centre and on how much they are missing.

If you have access to ... try Costco .. they do everything in bulk and I have never had a bad peice of meat. I take my Mum there to stock up on the freezer stuff. The quality is excellent. Cheese is cheap too, but beware as some things work out more expensive than the supermarkets.

The packs I buy are 7.5kg I think.

You are mistaken http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/catalog/sectionpagecontainer.jsp?departmentid=1214921923769 chicken breast fillets are anything up to £13.98 per kg at Asda

anything up to £14.98 at Waitrose https://www.waitrosedeliver.com/wdeliver/servlet/JSPs/shop/shopping_fs.jsp?siteCode=WD

and I can't find Morrisons prices online and i'm not prepared to register with tesco's just to find their prices

I must admit I bought a 1k pack at Netto for £5 and they also sell them at ASDA for £5 per 1k, £6 per 1K at Waitrose, you just need to scroll down.

Unless they are free range then there is little difference in price or quality.

I took the grand kids to Castle Market this week [half term], age 8 an 11. they were amazed ,they have never been taken there by mam and dad only to meadowhell and crystal peaks.

They experianced for the first time what the real Sheffield is about and had a birthday .

This has made me realise that todays kids who have been brought up on the out of town malls do not know the slightest thing about traditional Sheffield centre and on how much they are missing.

Here here, I call in the market when in town, its down to earth, unpretentious, not snobby. The people are friendly and the cafe I call in for a cuppa and a sausage and egg butty is brilliant.

A good antidote to Meadowhell.............

Watteralls for pork and Micks for everything else, far better stuff than supermarkets. Yes there are a few "undesireables" outside but I have never had a problem with them even though I am generally in suit and tie when I go in!!

I must admit I bought a 1k pack at Netto for £5 and they also sell them at ASDA for £5 per 1k, £6 per 1K at Waitrose, you just need to scroll down.

Unless they are free range then there is little difference in price or quality.

You probably can at Netto but unless they are on special offer at the major supermarkets they are not £5 or £6 per kg.

I always buy my meat at the market now, you get so much more value for your money. I never thought chicken breasts could be that big until I shopped at the market.

I always go to Bunting & Sons (I think thats the name) for my meat and All Seasons for my fruit and veg. I also get my free range eggs at the market... 90p for half a dozen, much cheaper than any supermarket for free range eggs.

Archived