Judge lets rapist off because victim was asking for it!

Which she has been.

No way. She was raped, and then let down by the judge, who then suggested that she was partly responsible.

Most rapists do it because they can get away with it, typically the victims are trusting or the most vulnerable (yes, sometimes drunk) women. Even bringing a charge can be as stressful as the crime itself.

If we as a society did not accept rape ever, then it would be more difficult to get away with. The problem has no chance of being fixed until rapists are addressed with complete responsibility for their actions.

Our society operates on trust, mistrust is an expensive cancer on society, so we need the law to ensure our levels of trust are as high as possible. While ever we have people like this judge, and now by your own admittance yourself, who think that "moral blameworthiness" can be applied to the victims, there will be much lower trust, and higher risk of rape.

I have no problem with a judge taking a rapist's drunkenness, whatever, into consideration, but the victim's? Horrible, just horrible.

Now I know this is going to make me unpopular but if the case is that the victim went voluntarily with the man, was flirtatious and provocative, wasn't unconscious due to drink and didn't give an unequivocal no when sex was initiated then she bears some responsibility for what happens. Now I'm not saying this is what happened but from the reports it is a distinct possibility.

We don't actually know what she did or didn't do. It's pretty much impossible for us to work anything out without any facts!

We don't actually know what she did or didn't do. It's pretty much impossible for us to work anything out without any facts!

Which is why I said "Now I'm not saying this is what happened but from the reports it is a distinct possibility." We don't know what really happened not being either there or in the court. However if[/if] the scenario I painted is one that happened then I would contest that what happened is more one of mixed signals than malevolence and that both parties carry the blame for what happened.

No way. She was raped, and then let down by the judge, who then suggested that she was partly responsible.

But we don't actually know her behaviour. If her behaviour was such that is gave an apparent yes to sexual congress then she is partly responsible. Actions have consequences - his did so should hers.

But we don't actually know her behaviour. If her behaviour was such that is gave an apparent yes to sexual congress then she is partly responsible. Actions have consequences - his did so should hers.

In an interview with the victim, she says that she said no to her rapist several times.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/02/25/no-woman-asks-to-be-raped-victim-slams-judges-decision/

“I did say no to him. I kept saying no. He knew that I didn’t want (sex).”

“I wasn’t dressed like a skank. I was like 20 years old, wearing a tube top. It was summer,”

“I didn’t like the guy. He was beyond creepy, a real pervert,” she said Thursday. “He deserves to be behind bars for what he did.” She had asked her friend to stop the car to let her out because she no longer wanted to be near Rhodes. Unfortunately, he also exited as the other two drove away, leaving them alone together on the highway.

http://www.oyetimes.com/views/columns/9789-justice-dewar-rape-is-inconsiderate

The woman said she went into the bushes off the road to urinate and the man followed her in.

"I wanted out of there and he wouldn't stop," she said about the attack, which left her covered in bruises.

He's been convicted by a jury who presumably have all the facts.

He's a rapist and should have recieved a sentence reflective of the seriousness opf his crime and one that would protect other women falling victim to him.

Thanks for posing that scoop, but the thought that some people might say "ahh now we have more facts about the incident I think there is no reason to talk about "moral blameworthiness"", actually makes me feel quite sick.

First we already knew enough facts to make a logical argument, because he had already been convicted of rape, sorry sexual assualt.

Mainly though, this case has shown that there still exists rape apologists who think that rape victims can be somehow partly responsible, like the default position for men is to have sex unless there is a definite "no" from a sober woman wearing sensible clothing.

:rant:

What other crimes does the law apply "moral blameworthiness" and let the criminal off because of the stupidity of the victim?

Thanks for posing that scoop, but the thought that some people might say "ahh now we have more facts about the incident I think there is no reason to talk about "moral blameworthiness"", actually makes me feel quite sick.

First we already knew enough facts to make a logical argument, because he had already been convicted of rape, sorry sexual assualt.

Mainly though, this case has shown that there still exists rape apologists who think that rape victims can be somehow partly responsible, like the default position for men is to have sex unless there is a definite "no" from a sober woman wearing sensible clothing.

:rant:

What other crimes does the law apply "moral blameworthiness" and let the criminal off because of the stupidity of the victim?

I completely agree, I find it absolutely disgusting that people try to excuse rape by suggesting that the way a woman dressed or behaved invited violent assault.

There is no place what so ever for such attitudes in a civil society, I question the "moral worthiness" of anyone wo holds such views.

• 4 months later...
I completely agree, I find it absolutely disgusting that people try to excuse rape by suggesting that the way a woman dressed or behaved invited violent assault.

There is no place what so ever for such attitudes in a civil society, I question the "moral worthiness" of anyone wo holds such views.

I totally agree. Not only that but it also perpetuates the view that women are the agents of sexual violence and that we are somehow responsible for male sexuality. Whilst such views prevail and men are not being challenged about their assumptions and attitudes towards women, nothing will ever change. The fact that a woman's dress has at times been used as mitigation is beyond disgraceful.

Archived