Car trade-seller pretending to be private :-X

To be honest I can't see your problem, you checked the car out and was happy with it.

The only thing you didn't like was his sales pitch, if people didn't buy every time a salesman fed them a load of bull a lot of things wold go unsold.

Don't spite yourself of a good deal because you don't like the salesman, he won't be coming with the car.

I suspect genuine Car Dealers and the Inland Revenue would have a problem though as they would had to have paid VAT on the car.

What does it say on the tax disc?

I always check the tax disc when buying a car, it also has the price on it, so you know how much it will cost next time.

I would probably not buy another car with less than a months' tax on it again, its too much trouble trying to get documents back etc. Last time I had to make a last minute dash across town to the DVLA office to tax my car on the afternoon of the 31st, that was the only place I could do it.

why couldnt you do it online?

why couldnt you do it online?

Normally I would.

I hadn't got the logbook back from the DVLA, and you can't tax using the new keeper supplement at the post office until 2 days before you want the tax disc to start. Unfortunately for some reason when the previous owner last taxed it, the post office stamped the new keeper supplement in the full V5 document. I went to the post office during my lunch to tax it and got told I couldn't because the stamp meant the new keeper supplement had already been used, when it hadn't, apparently it can only be used once.

So I had to take time off work and go to the DVLA office to buy the tax, waited 40 minutes because everyone wanted to tax their vehicles because it was the end of the month, but once I got seen it was really quick and easy, they just checked their system and it showed me as the new keeper. Ironically, when I got home later that day, the new V5 had arrived!

Archived