An end to lower car insurance just because you're a woman

To uptown girl and vwkittie:

If it could be shown statistically that black people tended to be more likely than white people to claim on their car insurance would you also approve of black people having to pay more for car insurance?

If you could prove that short people tended to be more likely to claim on their car insurance than tall or average sized people would you also approve of short people having to pay more?

In fact I'd put good money betting that, were the current situation reversed, and it were men who got cheaper car insurance than women, that there would be a great deal more outrage than there currently is.

There's a big difference compared to the things you mention vwkittie, ie. location, type of car, number of miles. These are things you can choose and control, your gender is not (mostly).

Yes to all of them.

The risk is assessed on sex, age, location, type of car, miles driven, past history, etc... Anything statistically relevant should be fair game.

Can you control your age? Or will ageism be next on the list?

If it could be shown statistically that black people tended to be more likely than white people to claim on their car insurance would you also approve of black people having to pay more for car insurance?

If you could prove that short people tended to be more likely to claim on their car insurance than tall or average sized people would you also approve of short people having to pay more?

In fact I'd put good money betting that, were the current situation reversed, and it were men who got cheaper car insurance than women, that there would be a great deal more outrage than there currently is.

There's a big difference compared to the things you mention vwkittie, ie. location, type of car, number of miles. These are things you can choose and control, your gender is not (mostly).

I see you are trying to play the race card here. Let me ask you a question first. Do you think it is fair that insurance companies ask questions about peoples family history and ethnic backgrounds when quoting for health insurance? Some ethnic groups have far higher incidences of certain diseases and genetic faults such as sycle cell anaemia. Are you suggesting that sort of information shouldn't be relevant?

I think you're spot on. If it was the other way around it would probably have been made illegal years ago.

I'm sure the main reason men feel aggrieved by this is that statistics give no definite insight into the individual. It's all based on generalisations. It'd be nice if someone could come up with a better way...

i think we should have fixed price insurance for eveyone like they do in some other countries. that way it would be fair for everyone.

Equal for everyone, does not mean fair for everyone. People who are far more likely to cause accidents should not be allowed to pay the same premium as people who are almost a zero risk.

I'm sure the main reason men feel aggrieved by this is that statistics give no definite insight into the individual. It's all based on generalisations. It'd be nice if someone could come up with a better way...

Insurance based on generalisations is the better way. Otherwise, each person would have to carry their own risk, and almost nobody can afford to do that.

I see you are trying to play the race card here.
Don't be ridiculous. I made an appropriate analogy, and did not accuse anyone of racism or even give the slightest hint that that was my intention.

You have done the exact same thing in fact, by making an appropriate analogy with race as a determinant factor instead of gender, in your analogy about medical insurance (which I agree raises a good point by the way).

This nonsense about 'playing the race card' gets thrown about far too much, and in my experience, is most often used as a meaningless piece of rhetoric meant to discredit someone, like in this case for example.

Yes to all of them.

The risk is assessed on sex, age, location, type of car, miles driven, past history, etc... Anything statistically relevant should be fair game.

Can you control your age? Or will ageism be next on the list?

Firstly, thanks for actually answering my questions, a refreshing display of intellectual honesty on this forum.

I think there is in fact a difference when it comes to age. Whilst it is of course true that you cannot choose your age, everyone ages. Therefore everyone receives equally the penalty of being charged more when they're young and the benefit of price drops when they're older, equality reigns.

I am a man now, but I will not turn into a woman in the future, whereas right now I am at an age where car insurance is expensive, but I will grow older and it will get cheaper for me.

I think Uptowngirl's analogy where she so shamelessly played the race card ;) about medical insurance and ethnic groups makes me doubt my position a fair bit though.

Anyone else have any thoughts on that one?

Archived