Hall mini market woodhouse

pistonbroke

• 1 year later...
Anybody remember the mini market what used to be in woodhouse I think it was called halls, roughly where ladbrokes is now. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Only just picked this one up, Halls Minimarket was where Ladbrokes are now in fact James Hall had the house and shop built in the 1920's as can be seen on the date stone over the shop. They had a bakery which was up the yard behind the shop, several delivery vans and two mobile shops.The business closed in 1973.

I remember Jim Hall, in the late 40's and during the 50's - he was a good friend of my father - Victor Hutchinson who was well known in Woodhouse and the surrounding areas

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

I remember Jim Hall, in the late 40's and during the 50's - he was a good friend of my father - Victor Hutchinson who was well known in Woodhouse and the surrounding areas

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

James was my father, he ran the grocery side of the business and his brother Kenneth ran the bakery. The carried the business on from their father also James. I remember Vic Hutchinson, new him for years when he worked for Currs tv and bike shop in Woodhouse then he had Park Hill garage and later one at the top of Laverack St at Handsworth. I think he had a Standard Vanguard car or estate around the time my father had one, mid 50's.

James - you are correct about my father. He was in fact brought up by Goerge Curr from age 14. Went into garage trade at Swallownest, then to top of Handsworth. He had a bungalow built at Bempton near Falmborough in 1969, and retired there in 1981. He died there in July 1996, my mother died there in July 2002. I moved to Driffield in 1967, with business interests in Hull. In 2006 I came to Malaysia to carry out consultancy work for the Navy. Liked the country and the low manufacturing costs and moved my manufacturing here in 2007. Still have a house in Driffield where our 22 year old daughter lives. Our 24 year old daughter lives and works in Vancouver. So my wife is either in Malaysia, with me, or Driffield, or Vancouver with one or other of our daughters. Nice to know who you are James, I havn't been into Woodhouse since about 2003, and by heck it had changed then. Market Place shops next to the George pub were virtually derelict. Maybe you remember my uncle - Kenneth Brooks from Balmoral Road, couple of years younger than my Dad was. Cousins Christine and Michael Brooks as well. Also, I had an e mail from Charlie Dentons son a few months ago - lives in Thorpe Salvin. Charlie was a good friend of both our fathers.

Best Wishes - Victor - Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

• 1 month later...
Wasn't it called Mike Hall's Mini Market?

There was a Mike Hall's minimarket but it was at Woodhouse Mill on the corner of Rodman St and Furnace Lane I ran that from 1976 to 1986.

The original Hall's shop which had a sign saying Hall's Minimarket was at no 9 Cross street and had been there for over 50 years till it closed in 1973.

Ladbrokes are now in the premises.

Archived