Who are the Most Overrated Historical Figures?

St Patrick was a Briton but also a Celt as were the Irish. He was of a different Celtic tribe though but they spoke the same language.

What about St George. I'm English and dont even know anything about him. As for killing a dragon, well!

Yeah but he wasn't Irish was he?

I was going to mention St.George but no-one really celebrates him, I suppose he could be next in line to Jesus with the overrating though, with the dragon fantasy

Florence Nightingale - a wealthy and pampered woman who wrote a lot about nursing but never got her hands dirty. She spent a few months at the Crimean War and spent the rest of her long life in bed with the vapours !

So why weren't Churchill and the other who gave the orders dragged before the international courts?

Because history is written by the victorious.

The Pyramid builders. They're only a pile of stones for God's sake...

I think you'll find there's a little more to it than that;).

Or do you think you could build one, with the same precision, using antiquated tools, with all the traps and perfectly smooth internal passageways...?

Your knowledge of history is at about the same level as my knowledge of nuclear physics. :hihi:

And, by the way there was no such things as International Courts in the days that these events took place

Alumni, Cuckoo Park Institute for the mentally deranged and criminally insane

So you know a lot about nuclear physics then, do you? :D

There might not have been human rights courts in the way there are today (for better or worse), but the loosers of WWII found themselves on trial at Nuremberg for war crimes. Is this just a case of the victorious getting away with murder?

Dont blame the RAF. They did what they were told to do and it all came about as a result of the failures of diplomacy and foreign policy as practiced by naive and easily misled politicians 6 years before.

Ah, the Nuremberg excuse - I vas only following zee orders (said in a poor German accent)

Yes true to an extent but there had never been a war in history on the scale of destruction, ferocity and wanton genocide than that of WW2.

The actions of the Nazi leaders in purposely ordering the deaths of literally millions of civilians had no precedent in warfare prior to WW2. Therefore the Nazi leaders fell into a special category in the eyes of the Allied leaders and were charged as murderers and criminals and rightly so.

As you know, I don't know much about history :D, and while you are correct in terms of actual numbers killed, I'm pretty sure that in terms of the % of civilians and military killed as a proportion of the population, then the wars in ancient times were just a ferocious. Think of Carthage, and its destruction.

Because history is written by the victorious.

I think you'll find there's a little more to it than that;).

Or do you think you could build one, with the same precision, using antiquated tools, with all the traps and perfectly smooth internal passageways...?

They are still a pile of stones arranged in a pyramid shape, funnily enough! They had hundreds of years and thousands of slaves.:D

Archived