Are decent lightbulbs available anywhere in Sheffield

As big_g was hinting, it sounds like you're basing your opinion of the energy saving bulbs on the 1st generation stuff. More recent bulbs are much improved. There's also a lot of variety out there.

Im with the original poster on this, I find that even the more recent ones don't throw out anywhere near as much light as the older type light bulbs.

Have you considered changing to something like this? This is the nearest you can get to the old incandescent type light bulb, although not pearl/opal as these are now banned under EU regulations.

I got two of those, sarky, and the dratted things blew up after a fortnight's regular use, - they literally went "Bang" and left broken glass and the metal bayonet fitting still in the pendant holder. not keen on them at all.

Im with the original poster on this, I find that even the more recent ones don't throw out anywhere near as much light as the older type light bulbs.

It's a real pain, foxydebs, the lights definitely are duller than the old bulbs, and they give me headaches.

I got two of those, sarky, and the dratted things blew up after a fortnight's regular use, - they literally went "Bang" and left broken glass and the metal bayonet fitting still in the pendant holder. not keen on them at all.

It's a real pain, foxydebs, the lights definitely are duller than the old bulbs, and they give me headaches.

As a migraine sufferer I know where you are coming from with this. I find flourescent lighting even worse for setting off headaches and migraines.

Could one of these low energy bulbs help?

what has really irritated me is something that I took for granted, and I did stock up, is now made really complicated, expensive (trial and error) and far less effective.

I dont want to understand lumens cfl gls or such like, I want to flick a switch and there be light, not have light eventually, or by turning on every light in the house, where is the energy saving there.

until they were banned, I could get a 100w pearl lightbulb and could see when I turned on the light.

These energy saving things are useless, do any shops in Sheffield sell decent lightbulbs? (small heating devices perhaps)

Been buying mine at the £1 shops and Home Bargains.

As a migraine sufferer I know where you are coming from with this. I find flourescent lighting even worse for setting off headaches and migraines.

Foxydebs, Fluorescent lighting drives me bats, that peripheral flickering sends me cross-eyed. (I think it's the flicker from those bulbs that trigger the headaches and migraines)

Archived