Sheffield Pubs - decent beer in a proper pub?

The...ahem...Classic Rock Bar....stocks real ale mainly from Barnsley Brewery, seasonal real ales at £1.50 a pint. We don't 'think' we are a nightclub and have excellent tastes in live music.

If you don't want the band experience then call in before 9pm.

We're a great 'earthy' pub and if you consider a 'real' pub to be one with shiny bar tops, plenty of things that need brassoing and wooden old fashioned flooring, we have that too. We also often have the odd dog moping around in corners.

Pubs are what you make of them....

• 12 years later...
geoff, I mean a smaller more traditional pub. Think what most people mean by a "traditional typical British Pub". Sadly, a truly typical british pub these days is nothing like the romantic idea of the jumper wearing beardies. But that is what I am after...

make sense?

Old thread but I am very interested due to me being slated on another site for saying that all the newfangled pubs that are springing up around Kelham Island ,Neepsend, Walkley etc are not proper pubs but imitations of what the pink trouser wearers think that a pub should be.

Now on my travels around Sheffield I have only come across a handful of pubs that I still consider to be proper pubs with proper Sheffielders in proper tap rooms supping traditional beer and chowing the fat .

So here goes the ones that I consider proper are , The Brown Bear,Norfolk Street ,full of a good old:hihi: Sheffield crowd supping good beer at a good price, The Norfolk on Dixon Lane (better known as Bottom ot Lane) to those int know,although it is now fading due the Corporation destroying the Market areas.

Then we get the Lions at Heeley bottom Red and white that still have a resemblance to what is traditional in pubs with music in one and dominoes in the other.

The Wharncliff at Burcross is another traditional pub with a taproom and a best room although it charges prices that belong to the posh converted pubs close by who have to charge the Earth because of Sky teli and multiple staff serving what is known as pub grub and fancy ales with names like cows arsse and golden retriever etc.

So to us who still dream of Stones jungle juice, or Magnet or Trophie the proper pub is hard to find in our City although in Barnsley!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Old thread but I am very interested due to me being slated on another site for saying that all the newfangled pubs that are springing up around Kelham Island ,Neepsend, Walkley etc are not proper pubs but imitations of what the pink trouser wearers think that a pub should be.

Now on my travels around Sheffield I have only come across a handful of pubs that I still consider to be proper pubs with proper Sheffielders in proper tap rooms supping traditional beer and chowing the fat .

So here goes the ones that I consider proper are , The Brown Bear,Norfolk Street ,full of a good old:hihi: Sheffield crowd supping good beer at a good price, The Norfolk on Dixon Lane (better known as Bottom ot Lane) to those int know,although it is now fading due the Corporation destroying the Market areas.

Then we get the Lions at Heeley bottom Red and white that still have a resemblance to what is traditional in pubs with music in one and dominoes in the other.

The Wharncliff at Burcross is another traditional pub with a taproom and a best room although it charges prices that belong to the posh converted pubs close by who have to charge the Earth because of Sky teli and multiple staff serving what is known as pub grub and fancy ales with names like cows arsse and golden retriever etc.

So to us who still dream of Stones jungle juice, or Magnet or Trophie the proper pub is hard to find in our City although in Barnsley!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Try The Ale House on Fraser Road, S8.

New landlady arrived in March and is really trying to make a go of it. Got quizzes, darts , real ales and food ( even gluten free & veggie). There are the regulars and also some who pop in for a quick pint. It allows dogs in and the beer garden is a decent size.

Archived