Sheffield Pubs - decent beer in a proper pub?

I notice the Devonshire Cat has been mentioned a few times with the rebirth of this thread.

It's being completely refurbished and making lots of changes in the coming months. Lots of the same beers on but losing its traditional edge. May disappoint some people but excites lady drinkers like me!

I notice the Devonshire Cat has been mentioned a few times with the rebirth of this thread.

It's being completely refurbished and making lots of changes in the coming months. Lots of the same beers on but losing its traditional edge. May disappoint some people but excites lady drinkers like me!

It's about time - it looked dated when it opened with all that pine furniture. The bar is too small for the size of place. It's too echoey which makes it far too noisy when full.

It's about time - it looked dated when it opened with all that pine furniture. The bar is too small for the size of place. It's too echoey which makes it far too noisy when full.

Especially with Friday after work blokes crowds. Not wishing to generalise but.....a'holes usually.

It's a Sam Smith's pub (Think that's right) so most stuff is their own made brands which varies in reviews I've seen it. I do like the cider they do though. It is called The Brown Bear and backs onto Tudor Square. The atmosphere can feel a bit "local". Some folks each and every time you go in, generally of an older demographic.

Glad it's a real place. I'll give it a go and see if I like it.

What should I expect to pay for a pint in Sheffield? So far I've only been to the Tap and that was a little pricier than I'd expected, but still cheaper than I'm used to.

Depends what you want. A 3.8% pale ale can be got for £2.40-2.60 in a lot a of places.

I know that this makes me sound like a philistine, but I preferred the old days of beer drinking, when there was less choice but more quality. My beer drinking days started in the mid 70's, when most pubs served Tetleys, Stones, Trophy, Mansfield, Wards - and some served Tennants, John Smiths or Sam Smiths. Most of them were keg bitters, with just the occasional hand-pump, as I recall. In those days, you chose your pub by how their beers were "kept". A pint of whatever beer could vary wildly, depending on whether the landlord kept it at the right temp in the cellar, put the right amount of "sparkle" on the pumps, etc. My own favourites were always a good pint of Ward's, Tetley's or Mansfield. My least favourite was always Whitbread Trophy - an impressive foamy head, but with flat, bland ale underneath the head. I never liked Stone's much either. Too pale..no flavour....

All these so-called "micro-breweries" and "craft ales" these days are a big con, in my opinion. We're just paying through the nose to drink beer that's nowhere near as good as it used to be....and which was relatively much, much cheaper in price.

Archived