Do you believe in free will .

I do not believe in absolute free will.

However the universe and brain are complicated enough that to all intents and purposes we do.

Do you believe that a person who violates reciprocal moral obligation is entitled to rely on law to defend their actions?

Mod Note

If you wish to make posts relevant to the topic, please go ahead.

However you should attack the argument, not the person making it and don't bring up disagreements from other threads.

Posts have been removed for failing to observe these reasons.

Doesn't morality and law run hand in hand?

Only up to a point. Some things which are legal are of highly questionable morality; some things which don't carry any obvious moral problems, are nevertheless illegal.

But I'm not sure what any of this, or indeed what Rowan's question in the first place, has to do with free will.

Only up to a point. Some things which are legal are of highly questionable morality; some things which don't carry any obvious moral problems, are nevertheless illegal.

But I'm not sure what any of this, or indeed what Rowan's question in the first place, has to do with free will.

Yes I agree. Generally their more of a compliment to one another. It makes you wonder, what came first. Morality or law.

edit: Sorry, back on track.

If every thing we do is already foretold, how can we possibly have free will ?

I had a really interesting discussion about this with my OH a few weeks ago. I've always believed that I have free will- that I essentially steer my life through a series of choices, actions and consequences and because I understand the consequences I can make rational initial choices.

However, my partner pointed out that we cannot know our subconscious and the influence that this has on our choices. If fate is essentially a phenomenon that we cannot control but which effects our personal choices then surely that phenomenon is our subconscious- not God/ gods/ aliens or anything else externalised.

When I was a little girl my great gran used to show me the fairies that lived at the bottom of her beautiful garden. I loved her garden and this was probably a huge influence on my choice to have an allotment- perhaps it was fate rather than free will that effected that particular choice, but my free will gives me the freedom to choose not to have an allotment. Hope that makes some sense...

Archived