Selby rail crash:- killer driver "forgives those who wronged him"

I don't claim to be the perfect human being, but some of you, you really appall me. I worry about you and what you might be capable of if pressed. Your vituperation and vengeful attitudes over things of no personal concern to you is quite repulsive. Although it makes a change to see the frothing, pitchfork waving and brand carrying on the other foot for a change. I save my pitchforks for people who actually intend to cause harm to others, child abusers, rapists and murderers, the really hateful, nasty sort of people.

It must be wonderful to never have made an error of judgment and never foresee yourselves making one either. I can only hope your confidence in yourselves continues to be justified.

Having googled 'cars crashing onto railway lines' I'm amazed how often it happens. Luckily usually without horrific consequences, thankfully. There's a report of a cyclist ending up on a railway track and even a plane.

But at the end of the day to get in a car without having slept for 36 hours he was, unless he's stupid, well aware that he should not be behind wheel and then to come on national TV bleating that he forgives them that have wronged him is an insult to those who died. He had no need to rub peoples noses in it. Oh and in answer to previous post I have had a clean licence since 1984, don't drink and drive, don't use mobile while behind wheel or drive while too tired to do so.

He hadn't slept for 36 hours so he was an accident waiting to happen but to go on news and say he forgives them that wronged him is a terrible insult to the families of those who died through his stupidity - he could have just kept his mouth shut, I blame the media as much as him

This bloke has some sort of personality disorder ... he obviously hasn't accepted he was at fault in this tragedy.

By choosing to drive when he was incapable, the outcome became down to luck. In my opinion his crime was to give up responsibility for others' safety by continuing to drive when he was incapable. He should be punished for this action, not for the outcome which was a matter of luck. Mention has been made of someone else having a similar "accident", but with no deaths. If someone had acted in a similar manner with equal disregard for others, then they should be punished in a similar way, again regardless of the outcome. In my opinion, someone crashing a heavy car and trailer due to lack of sleep for 36 hours ought to be getting a lengthy ban - several years at least - regardless of whether anyone is killed or injured. They clearly are a menace when on the road, so society should take action to keep them off it.

The current system of increasing punishment if someone dies is, in my opinion, counter-productive. I think this is a case in point. He didn't expect that his actions would result in people dying, and so sees the outcome as being "fate". Even after these events he doesn't seem to have learnt anything. If he, and I think others, truly believe that they were at risk of a lengthy driving ban if ever found to be driving when incapable, then they would be much less likely to take the risk in the first place. This still would not be perfect, as many people would still not expect to be caught, but it would at least pick up those who have crashes due to reckless behaviour, and get them off the roads for a period

I watched last night's Look North and some of the programme afterwards. I was only half watching it and heard someone talking about "fate". At the time I thought he looked a bit like Hart, but assumed it wasn't him because of what he was saying. I'd missed the bit when it said who he was, and assumed he must have been one of the train passengers. It's only through reading this thread that I realise it was Hart, after all.

I'm both angry and sad that he doesn't appear to have learnt anything.

By choosing to drive when he was incapable, the outcome became down to luck. In my opinion his crime was to give up responsibility for others' safety by continuing to drive when he was incapable. He should be punished for this action, not for the outcome which was a matter of luck. Mention has been made of someone else having a similar "accident", but with no deaths. If someone had acted in a similar manner with equal disregard for others, then they should be punished in a similar way, again regardless of the outcome. In my opinion, someone crashing a heavy car and trailer due to lack of sleep for 36 hours ought to be getting a lengthy ban - several years at least - regardless of whether anyone is killed or injured. They clearly are a menace when on the road, so society should take action to keep them off it.

The current system of increasing punishment if someone dies is, in my opinion, counter-productive. I think this is a case in point. He didn't expect that his actions would result in people dying, and so sees the outcome as being "fate". Even after these events he doesn't seem to have learnt anything. If he, and I think others, truly believe that they were at risk of a lengthy driving ban if ever found to be driving when incapable, then they would be much less likely to take the risk in the first place. This still would not be perfect, as many people would still not expect to be caught, but it would at least pick up those who have crashes due to reckless behaviour, and get them off the roads for a period

When their gross neglect results in death of 10 people then it needs to be judged on its merit.

Fact: He has the capability of reason and knew that he should not be driving what amounts to lethal weapon

Fact: He drove anyway

Fact: he went on national TV to forgive those who wronged him

Fact: he has no remorse or compassion for victims or families

Why are we feeling sorry for him, he had no need to go on TV but went on anyway, if I were victims families I'd look to sue him because he cares not one jot for their feelings but then they have more dignity. He wants to crawl back under his rock

Archived