Selby rail crash:- killer driver "forgives those who wronged him"

He was sentenced to 5 years for what he did. That's just 6 months for each of the people whose deaths he caused.

I don't believe he served the full five years, did he?

edit to say, just seen that he served just 30 months for it. 2½ years. half the sentence given. 3 months per person killed.

As I recall saying at the time, if he'd been a junior doctor who'd been on duty for 72 hours at the local hospital, who'd fallen asleep at the wheel, and that tragic combination of circumstances had occurred, I wonder what the reaction would be.

I bet there are a few people of the holier than thous, who've been up half the night online at times. Luckily for them, most of them would be able to lig in bed until lunchtime and not have a job to get up to do. The man's done his time for what happened, fairly or unfairly, time to leave him alone, imo.

As I recall saying at the time, if he'd been a junior doctor who'd been on duty for 72 hours at the local hospital, who'd fallen asleep at the wheel, and that tragic combination of circumstances had occurred, I wonder what the reaction would be.

I bet there are a few people of the holier than thous, who've been up half the night online at times. Luckily for them, most of them would be able to lig in bed until lunchtime and not have a job to get up to do. The man's done his time for what happened, fairly or unfairly, time to leave him alone, imo.

Bang on post.

Saying that, having sustained a concussion, surely, Buck, you should have been advised by the docs not to drive for a few days after suffering the head injury, (on warfarin or not?)

It's frightening to think what could have happened had the road not been empty?

the doctor cheerfully told me I was fine. In retrospect, no blood test was taken, though my record indicated cumidin in my blood. It was a Sunday afternoon nad the ER was overworked due to a major road crash in the area, but that does not excuse the fact that they could have been partly responsible for any tragedy. A lawyer approached me on the matter, but I could not see myself damaging the career of a young resident doctor since noone was hurt. Only me and my poor little Hoyundai paid the price.

I've just been forced to listen to the orginal emergency call tape, due to it being on the evening news - AGAIN! In spite of what some of you are saying, I'd have to commend the bloke, he'd just come off the road, careered down a steep embankment and ended up on a railway line and he still had the presence of mind to try to call for help. Most people would probably have still been sat there trying to work out what happened and the train would have taken them out. Maybe some people might prefer that to have happened?

I'm sure he's relived that over and over again and always will. I always think in anything like this, there but for the grace of god, go I. It was an accident, a terribly unlucky combination of circumstances. If the freight train hadn't been, was it 40 minutes?, early it would never even have happened.

I agree with him, it was Fate. What else can you say about it.

A freight train that his car derailed

No it didn't. His car was hit by a passenger train, which he was also not driving. If the passenger train had been two minutes early, or ten minutes late, there would have been no accident or no story.

Had the freight train been five minutes early, or ten minutes late, once again there would have been no story. Why are you blaming Gary Hart for a train schedule he did not set?

Archived