Why is there a "cost" for the police to police certain events?

I hear there's going to be a Libdem get-together in Sheffield, and the policing for it could be something like 2 million pounds.

But why? I don't get it, wont it just be policed by on duty officers on the day that are being paid their salary for being on duty, or in other words, doing their job, anyway?

Where does this 2 million pound figure come from? whats it paying for?

I believe the final cost isn't known yet and it's going to be between 500k and 2.5 million. I admit that I struggle to see where such a high figure comes from but I know some of it is from the impact of canceling the weekly leave days of police officers and staff, they will need to be re-rostered which all adds up.

There are not enough police officers and staff on duty on the 2 days of the conference to police it, that's why it's not just the on duty officers.

I hear there's going to be a Libdem get-together in Sheffield, and the policing for it could be something like 2 million pounds.

But why? I don't get it, wont it just be policed by on duty officers on the day that are being paid their salary for being on duty, or in other words, doing their job, anyway?

They are being paid their normal wage, it is the amount in attendance that bumps up the total, which is nowhere near 2 million by the way. More like £200,000. :roll:

The normal on duty officers still have other crimes to deal with, just like on any normal day without an event.

Given that the Police would be working doing other things, the Lib-Dem conference will impose an additional load.

The other jobs won#t go away and the additional policing requirement may give rise to Leave bans and additional overtime. Which cost money.

They may even have to draft in Police from neighbouring forces (and I doubt the people living in the areas which provide additional manpower [should it be required] will feel like paying for it.)

Given that the Police would be working doing other things, the Lib-Dem conference will impose an additional load.

The other jobs won#t go away and the additional policing requirement may give rise to Leave bans and additional overtime. Which cost money.

They may even have to draft in Police from neighbouring forces (and I doubt the people living in the areas which provide additional manpower [should it be required] will feel like paying for it.)

But they will still be getting paid the same amount.:roll:

Archived