Libya. Do the people need us?

There has been a new naval development called an aircraft carrier.

The aircraft which fly off carriers are just as vulnerable to Air Defence systems as those which fly from airfields.

I'll say it again: If you are going to enforce a no-fly zone, you must first destroy the Air Defence systems. Those held and operated by both sides.

I'm pretty confident in saying that a few guided missiles, you know the ones that can be guided through your front room window and blow up your Horlicks on the coffee table might be up to taking out Libya’s air defences.

I'm pretty confident in saying that you probably don't have much idea about (or experience of) Air Defence Systems.

Libya has (inter alia):

Triple A:

S60s

ZSU 23-4's

ZSU 23-2's

M53/59 Praga's

40mm Bofors

SAMS:

SA-2

SA-3

SA-5

SA-7

SA-8b

SA-9

SA-13

Crotale.

If you destroy one of those systems, then anybody standing anywhere near it will probably be slightly dead or seriously injured.

You have to destroy most (preferably all) of them before you can send aircraft on Combat Air Patrol above them.

Unless, of course, you happen to have a few suicide squadrons. Neither the Royal Air Force nor the USAF has suicide squadrons.

I'm pretty confident in saying that you probably don't have much idea about (or experience of) Air Defence Systems.

Libya has (inter alia):

Triple A:

S60s

ZSU 23-4's

ZSU 23-2's

M53/59 Praga's

40mm Bofors

SAMS:

SA-2

SA-3

SA-5

SA-7

SA-8b

SA-9

SA-13

Crotale.

I'm sorry “colonel Troutman” I didn't realise I was swapping opinions with a guns and ammo subscriber. But just the same, are you saying that in a shooting war the Americans wouldn't have the technological upper hand. I think you are very wrong.

Libya has (inter alia):

Triple A:

S60s

ZSU 23-4's

ZSU 23-2's

M53/59 Praga's

40mm Bofors

SAMS:

SA-2

SA-3

SA-5

SA-7

SA-8b

SA-9

SA-13

Crotale.

If you destroy one of those systems, then anybody standing anywhere near it will probably be slightly dead or seriously injured.

You have to destroy most (preferably all) of them before you can send aircraft on Combat Air Patrol above them.

Unless, of course, you happen to have a few suicide squadrons. Neither the

Royal Air Force nor the USAF has suicide squadrons.

The ZSU23'4

Ace piece of kit

I'm sorry “colonel Troutman” I didn't realise I was swapping opinions with a guns and ammo subscriber. But just the same, are you saying that in a shooting war the Americans wouldn't have the technological upper hand. I think you are very wrong.

No, you're swapping opinions with somebody who trained to fly against most of those systems.

You are quite correct that the Americans are capable of destroying the Libyan Air Defence systems, but you are ignoring the points I made in Post #9.

1. Both sides (Gadhafi and the rebels) have Air Defence systems.

2. ALL of those systems need to be destroyed.

3. If you do so, you are going to kill large numbers of people on both sides.

Whichever side wins, you will have killed a significant number of their people.

They may not be too happy with you for doing that.

If Cameron and/or Obama want to alienate ALL Libyans (on both sides) then killing large numbers of them should do the trick quite nicely.

The ZSU23'4

Ace piece of kit

A very nasty bit of kit. - 12000 rounds a minute of 23mm ammunition will ruin your whole day. Stay well away.

No, you're swapping opinions with somebody who trained to fly against most of those systems.

You are quite correct that the Americans are capable of destroying the Libyan Air Defence systems, but you are ignoring the points I made in Post #9.

1. Both sides (Gadhafi and the rebels) have Air Defence systems.

2. ALL of those systems need to be destroyed.

3. If you do so, you are going to kill large numbers of people on both sides.

Whichever side wins, you will have killed a significant number of their people.

They may not be too happy with you for doing that.

If Cameron and/or Obama want to alienate ALL Libyans (on both sides) then killing large numbers of them should do the trick quite nicely.

A very nasty bit of kit. - 12000 rounds a minute of 23mm ammunition will ruin your whole day. Stay well away.

Be affraid.

TBH I think that a no fly zone would be very easy to set up. If NATO anounced that they would shoot down any aircraft overflying Libya, I suspect anyone sent up in a Lybian aircraft would be heading quickly towards Malta to land it.

Will Cameron now or eventually aid militarily the present peoples revolution? How far do you think he'll go considering Gaddafi's threat at thousands of Libyans being killed.? Considering they backed Blair and Bush's little escapade in recent troubles, do you think he has the balls to follow suite? There does seem to be a little muscle flexing going on but it seems the Libyan people wouldn't want it, as they regard it as their revolution.

What do you think?

If Colonel Madflyi killed enough including hoimself, just think, we could pump the oil ourselves which we do in any event.

Will Cameron now or eventually aid militarily the present peoples revolution? How far do you think he'll go considering Gaddafi's threat at thousands of Libyans being killed.? Considering they backed Blair and Bush's little escapade in recent troubles, do you think he has the balls to follow suite? There does seem to be a little muscle flexing going on but it seems the Libyan people wouldn't want it, as they regard it as their revolution.

What do you think?

They don't need us a much as we need there oil, thats why oily Blaire went there, ( allegedly ).

Archived