Did people really used to live for 120 years?

Methuselah died well past his 900th year, and Noah wasn't far behind him.

----------

Genesis : 7

6 Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters came on the earth. 7 And Noah and his sons and his wife and his sons’ wives entered the ark to escape the waters of the flood.

just goes to show how made up and stupid religion is

I can't remember their names (help Grahame?) but after picking up a Gideons Bible in several hotels over the years I seem to remember reading several of the biblical figures lived for upwards of 120 years, I think the were Abraham's children and grandchildren etc.

I know life expectancy goes up and down over the years depending on prevailing environmental conditions, disease in the populations etc, but is is really feasable that people used to live for at least 120 years?

we're not sure exactly when my granddad was born. but he got his Native Identification Card which they gave all the natives that had turned 16 back then. he got his 1901. he died in 1996. my grandmother is 105 and still around. four of her kids are over ninety. they did, still do.

I can't remember their names (help Grahame?) but after picking up a Gideons Bible in several hotels over the years I seem to remember reading several of the biblical figures lived for upwards of 120 years, I think the were Abraham's children and grandchildren etc.

I know life expectancy goes up and down over the years depending on prevailing environmental conditions, disease in the populations etc, but is is really feasable that people used to live for at least 120 years?

Hell no!!:cool:

There is no solid evidence (that I'm aware of) to explain how those ridiculous figures were arrived at. Some people believe that the writers of Genesis were counting people's lifespans in lunar months, not solar years - that would mean that Methuselah only lived to be about 78, rather than 969.

I love the way people creatively interpret the bible to make it more feasible and palatable.

If they applied the same level of thought to the problem, they could perhaps find the secret to cold fusion in Shakespeare.

I love the way people creatively interpret the bible to make it more feasible and palatable.

If they applied the same level of thought to the problem, they could perhaps find the secret to cold fusion in Shakespeare.

Grahame has explained in the past how the seven days of Creation actually refer to geological ages. So by his reckoning, a Biblical year of life would equate to 365 geological age-spans. Multiply that by the numerical age given and that's pretty impressive!

Edit: I hope you enjoy your new life as a cigarette. :D

Grahame has explained in the past how the seven days of Creation actually refer to geological ages. So by his reckoning, a Biblical year of life would equate to 365 geological age-spans. Multiply that by the numerical age given and that's pretty impressive!

Edit: I hope you enjoy your new life as a cigarette. :D

Thank you purdy, which goes to show that people measured time in different units and 'day' has several meanings.

I always put the longevity of people down to they way they measured time, the moons phases being an example.

Also the days of Noah may be similar to the Plantagenets from 1154 until 1485, rather than an individual?

Methuselah died well past his 900th year, and Noah wasn't far behind him.

Genesis : 7

6 Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters came on the earth. 7 And Noah and his sons and his wife and his sons’ wives entered the ark to escape the waters of the flood.

Methuselah was 969, according to the old testament.

However the idea put forward by some scholars, that a year equated to a month doesn't hold water as Enoch (his father) begat Methuselah at the age of 65, making him just six years five months.

Isn't there some bloke in the bible who never died?

Elijah was taken up to heaven in a chariot, and, according to the tale, did not die.

Thank you purdy, which goes to show that people measured time in different units and 'day' has several meanings.

I always put the longevity of people down to they way they measured time, the moons phases being an example.

Also the days of Noah may be similar to the Plantagenets from 1154 until 1485, rather than an individual?

You have no idea what I said, do you?

Archived