Insurance companies charging women less is sexual discrimination

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610

It will be interesting to read the full judgment of this case (when I have time!).

In people's opinion is this correct?

One argument is that sexual discrimination works both ways. People shouldn't be sexist against women or men. :thumbsup:

On the other side of the coin, are insurance companies being sexist? They base their premium charges on statistics and statistics show women are less likely to claim?

Either way it's unfair that men who have perfect driving records have to pay more because they're men.

But where does the argument stop? Will the next case to go to Europe be about whether companies can charge more based on age discrimination? I'm a young driver and don't drive around like an idiot but because of my age I have to subsidise the young idiots that do go around driving like boy racers! :rant:

Read up on it. It can't be done on gender but can be done on age. Therefore any insurance policy seems to be descriminatory in my books. A level playing field for all.

I know that but my question is why? What is the justification for allowing one but not the other? I'm not looking for the definitive answer (that will be in the judgment) but people's opinions.

Insurance companies base charging men more than women on the statistics including that men are more likely to claim.

They also charge young drivers more than older drivers based on the statistic that young drivers will claim more than older drivers.

So what is the difference?

The difference is that with age, you move from one demographic to the other over time, suffering in the early days and reaping the benefits later on. Not many people go from being a man to being a woman.

Archived