How much does a young man need to raise a family?

Suppose you budget £100 rent/ctax for a 1bed/2bed in darnall.

£100 to insure (80) and run (tax, petrol, parking, repairs etc. - 20) a car [require repairs less than once a year and only ever use free parking].

£100 food/entertainment.

£50 utilities and rates.

It is do-able. And you would live quite well.

Yeah, your man should breeze it.

I can't imagine that anyone could raise a family on this amount. £300 is nothing in this day and age, it would just about feed a family of four for one week let alone anything else.

What a cretinous thing to say.

Suppose you budget £100 rent/ctax for a 1bed/2bed in darnall.

£100 to insure (80) and run (tax, petrol, parking, repairs etc. - 20) a car [require repairs less than once a year and only ever use free parking].

£100 food/entertainment.

£50 utilities and rates.

It is do-able. And you would live quite well.

but what about the cat and dog? have they been fed and looked after.

Is car insurance really £80 per week?

but what about the cat and dog? have they been fed and looked after.

Is car insurance really £80 per week?

Suppose the car insurance is £4k (average male youth is IRO £4.4k - astonishing! I refused to pay at £2.5k!)

Some £76 a week and feed the cats and dog for £4, perhaps pinch £2 from the human food budget.

I used to have a 35kg dog and could feed it for under £5/week (sharing my own meat and it on biscuits).

Before this EU ruling you could insure your bird for £50 a week and spend the remaining £30 on beer without having to drink-drive.

The OP raises a fair question - but there isn't a simple answer. Depending on the hours the man works, he will probably be eligible for some sort of tax credit especially if he is on a low wage/salary. As he has children, the family will also get child benefit. (We're not talking a one high earner household here.)

But why would both parents not be working? Even with children its doable - one full time day work, one part time evening/weekend. I know, we did it for years when our kids were young.

The OP raises a fair question - but there isn't a simple answer. Depending on the hours the man works, he will probably be eligible for some sort of tax credit especially if he is on a low wage/salary. As he has children, the family will also get child benefit. (We're not talking a one high earner household here.)

But why would both parents not be working? Even with children its doable - one full time day work, one part time evening/weekend. I know, we did it for years when our kids were young.

Disregard benefit and assume the woman stays at home...

Archived