How much does a young man need to raise a family?

you sound a tad bossy there imho.....but guess your post your rules LOL

Perhaps I do, but my now deceased grandfathers spoke of the man paying all the bills, you see. Women may work today, but suppose they don't, nor need not. I'll be looking to raising a family soon. Multiple perspectives are welcome. I'm assuming I'll need to cover the living costs of a 4-5 person unit.

Perhaps I do, but my now deceased grandfathers spoke of the man paying all the bills, you see. Women may work today, but suppose they don't, nor need not. I'll be looking to raising a family soon. Multiple perspectives are welcome. I'm assuming I'll need to cover the living costs of a 4-5 person unit.

I was jesting - good for you for forward planning... remember to also budget then for some kid related entertainment (swimming club etc) - and they also grow out of clothes too fast.

My OH earns about £35000 a year. On this we have 3 children, 2 cars, 2 cats, an aquarium, a mortgage on a three bedroom semi and a one week holiday a year. It's doable but not easy at the moment.

Sounds reasonable.

If he lost his £35K job and could only get one paying £20k, you would have to cope on less though !

Indeed he would. My parents were poor. We lived somewhere where there was no NHS, my mum spent a lot of time in hospital and my dad (who had been severely injured during WWll) could no longer follow his profession and could only get comparatively low-paid labouring jobs. He worked 6 days a week (plus all the overtime he could get) to support us.

My parents thought it was worthwhile. We didn't have a lot, but we did have a loving and caring family. Worth more than money.

Unless you work out in the wilderness where there is no public transport most people don't need a car to get to work. I've never driven a car and I've always managed to get to work.

You're obviously a city dweller. Many rural areas have no public transport or inadequate public transport. They are not 'in the wilderness' - they're just not in the city.

I used to have to go to work at very short notice at any time of the day or night. Work was 30 miles away. There was no public transport during the daytime, let alone at 4am. A car was an absolute necessity.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

When my son was born, I was 36 years old. Both my wife and I had very well-paid jobs and we both said "Having a child won't change the way we live"

Wrongggg!:hihi:

Having a child changes the way you live completely.

I've no idea how much (in Pounds) bringing up a son cost me (It was a lot!) and he certainly gave me more than a few grey hairs.

Well worth it, though.

If you don't have kids, that's your choice. (There's another thread on this forum about that.)

If you don't have kids, you won't have grandchildren either.

He worked 6 days a week (plus all the overtime he could get) to support us. during the daytime, let alone at 4am. A car was an absolute necessity.

You might not believe me, but such work is hard to get atm.

It must be shared out between EEs.

These people are devoid of a social safety net and it is causing untold harm for all.

Matteos on sod all social safety needs them hours, as a man able to claim dole, you must pass-over the work. The children must eat.

He want's to wrk, you want to work.. But there aint enough work!!!!

Archived