How much does a young man need to raise a family?

Try to imagine you didn't live in a place where you could get on and off a tram or a bus, how would you suggest getting to work then, assuming you don't want to spend more than you would on a car, on taxis?

I've always chosen where to live/work based on the public transport, I wouldn't live somewhere that had no public transport available. To be fair nobody is forced to live anywhere, you can move. If work was reasonably near I'd walk, or get a bike. But if it was a really good job I'd move nearer to it.

So finaly we all seem to be in agreement that no-one needs a car!:)

Back on topic. Are we any closer to finding out how much a young man needs to raise a family?

Of course they don't, if they want to live on a larger budget than necessary. I didn't think that was the general point of the thread.

"How much does he need?" suggests he would want to live on as little as possible, therefore, he would need a car to do so.

I work from 8am to 4.30pm. The first bus doesn't come this way until 8.00am and gets into town at 8.20 then I have a 10 minute walk, making me 30 minutes late for work. When I finish work at 4.30 I miss the 4.30 bus by approx 10 minutes so I then have to wait until 5.30 for the next bus. I need my car............

Everyone at your place drives there then ?

I've always chosen where to live/work based on the public transport, I wouldn't live somewhere that had no public transport available. To be fair nobody is forced to live anywhere, you can move. If work was reasonably near I'd walk, or get a bike. But if it was a really good job I'd move nearer to it.

I lived in a Village when I got my first job, it didn't have public transport and I definitely couldn't have chosen to live somewhere else upon starting my first job.

Of course they don't, if they want to live on a larger budget than necessary. I didn't think that was the general point of the thread.

"How much does he need?" suggests he would want to live on as little as possible, therefore, he would need a car to do so.

I see, so your idea of living on as little as possible is to buy a car. Interesting.:)

But they do exist and can be used. I've never had a car and I've managed just fine. A car costs more than 12 quid a week to own, which is what I used to spend getting to work and back on the tram.

Yes, but that is just you. Some weeks it would honestly cost be hundreds of pounds to do my job without a car. Not that it costs much less than that with a car. I also have a friend who doesn't drive who can't get anywhere near as much work as he likes because he doesn't have transport to get to jobs.

I also sometimes need to get from one random place to another in a lot less time than would be possible on a bus or train. It isn't my job to drive, you understand, but I couldn't do it without a car. I could get an office job and go to the same building every day instead, but I have spent my life trying to make sure that doesn't happen.

I realise that some people find it very easy to live without a car, though, and that's great.

If there is no public transport and you don't live close to work, then my idea would be correct wouldn't you say?

Maybe first of all he should look into car sharing or cycling. In the village where I live we get some people parking their cars and then car sharing into the town. :(

If there is no public transport and you don't live close to work, then my idea would be correct wouldn't you say?

I would say that you are incorrect as by living so far away from work you would not be living on as little as possible would you.:)

Archived