British man fighting for Britain? you could be redundant

I thought the Government promised that cuts would not affect frontline services, not just amongst the armed forces but elsewhere as well, and that savings could be made from efficiency savings and reducing backroom staff.

I have nothing against the armed forces and have loads of respect for those on the front line, as I do for doctors, nurses, police, firefighters, teachers... But I would have thought that militrary would be the first place you should always make cuts. If the country is in such a bad state, as people keep telling us, then what is the point in spending billions defending a country that is falling apart and can't afford the most basic public services?

If the debt is so terrible and the country is in so much trouble then lets start pulling our troops out of all the counrties around the world as we simply can't afford to have them there.

We are just meat to them I'm afraid. As the extent of this financial crisis starts to dawn on people it will result in an ever decreasing circle of people who aren't being given the sh""t!. Ultimately in a system where you have been indoctrinated to think that it is survival of the fittest, what defence is their for the biggest predators eating you and your family whole?

You have no defence because they have created this system to suit a tiny minority of people who cannot loose!

Hope so, Harleyman. - But the current president does seem to be obsessed with using US taxpayers' money to benefit people in Africa. (Are his extended family in Kenya a part of the attraction?)

He promised (in his electoral pledges) to do so. He has fulfilled that pledge. He also promised to help the poorer people in the US. Pity he hasn't managed to do that yet.

Hopefully, Congress won't allow him any excursion into Africa until he has managed to get his budget passed. The budget which should've been passed last October. The one with the $1.7 TRILLION deficit. - Enough to send every wage-earner in the US on 3 YEARS paid leave.

I voted for Obama in the last election. Something I now regret because of what he's done lately. One term president if ever I saw one

Hope so, Harleyman. - But the current president does seem to be obsessed with using US taxpayers' money to benefit people in Africa. (Are his extended family in Kenya a part of the attraction?)

He promised (in his electoral pledges) to do so. He has fulfilled that pledge. He also promised to help the poorer people in the US. Pity he hasn't managed to do that yet.

Hopefully, Congress won't allow him any excursion into Africa until he has managed to get his budget passed. The budget which should've been passed last October. The one with the $1.7 TRILLION deficit. - Enough to send every wage-earner in the US on 3 YEARS paid leave.

Actually Dubya Bush did a hell of lot for Africa when he was President, I don't see you questioning his family ties.

When you join the army you sign on for 22 years with the option of leaving earlier.

Those who stay for 22 years are sometimes allowed to extend their service.

I think it will be those who have completed 22 years service not being given the option of extending their service.

Younger, cheaper recruits will be employed.

Not a good idea to start chopping the senior members. The senior NCOs are the real backbone of the military and their experience in combat is invaluable particularly at a time when the military is engaged in operations in Afghanistan.

The tough old Gunnery Sergeants in my platoon were probably more responsible for keeping us alive than any of the junior officers, some of whom were still wet behind the ears.

It's said that for every actual combat soldier it takes ten other military personnel to keep him in the field. Cuts could be made in those areas surely

Not a good idea to start chopping the senior members. The senior NCOs are the real backbone of the military and their experience in combat is invaluable particularly at a time when the military is engaged in operations in Afghanistan.

The tough old Gunnery Sergeants in my platoon were probably more responsible for keeping us alive than any of the junior officers, some of whom were still wet behind the ears.

It's said that for every actual combat soldier it takes ten other military personnel to keep him in the field. Cuts could be made in those areas surely

If a senior NCO stays longer than their 22 years it blocks the promotion ladder for others and may cause some to leave because of this frustration.

If a senior NCO stays longer than their 22 years it blocks the promotion ladder for others and may cause some to leave because of this frustration.

Very true, however making the armed forces even smaller is a farce, given those in power keep getting us into these wars. Policy needs to reflect ability and future ability. What's next? Where next?

Archived