Faking illness online for sympathy and attention.

There's an interesting article in the Guardian about people who use online forums and pretend to have illnesses and problems just to gain sympathy and attention. A kind of Münchhausen's Syndrome by Internet.

I've sometimes had my suspicions that happens on this forum, but give people the benefit of the doubt, but I definitely know of it happening on another forum I once used.

Article here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/26/faking-illness-online-munchausen

It's attention seeking, they should seek professional help

As far as I know, and as far as could be proven by checking the ISP's, it wasn't the person in question who pretended to be dead.

It was a so-called friend of theirs who, out of mischief/? spite?/ ?malice? started the thread that announced the member's "death".

Looking at the ISPs proves very little, since access to more than one ISP is very common.

As far as I know, and as far as could be proven by checking the ISP's, it wasn't the person in question who pretended to be dead.

It was a so-called friend of theirs who, out of mischief/? spite?/ ?malice? started the thread that announced the member's "death".

Mobile phone and laptop?

I did say other people's deaths in my post.. See..

Or other people's deaths..

This happened only the other week on this very forum..

I saw the person who was supposed to be dead, back here on the forum announcing that they were still very much alive and kicking.. :)

i posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago..there are some people that fein illness to get attention.others do not i was diagnosed with a hyperchondrical disorder over 10 yrs ago..the 2 are very different indeed.knowingly doing it and the other not intentially doing it.i suffered a massive mental breakdown at the time.iam very well now im glad to say..but i cannot help wondering the 2 very close together but in reality miles apart.:)

Archived