Pakistan's only Christian minister shot dead in Islamabad

I'm glad to have been of service. There are sadly many countries where being a Muslim is the only healthy option if you intend to remain alive.

You probably need to brush up on your interpretation of people being elected to office in Pakistan.

Indeed you have been of service and I know now how to generalise about a whole people and blame an entire country for acts of a few terrorists I am obliged to you. I do have a problem with the justification that to stay alive you have to be a Muslim as the last minister shot dead was a Muslim but maybe I am just being overly reasonable hey?

I recognise I may still need to brush up on those good old biggotry skills but I am so pleased to be in the right company to teach me, thank you again.

Pakistan is set to become the UK's biggest aid recipient by 2015.

Which is nice.

A BBC report the other day highlighted the disadvantages of us giving them aid

- rich people in Pakistan don't pay tax, knowing foreign aid will pay for things

- corruption - no one really knows exactly what all the aid money goes on, only some things

Although I'm all for helping poorer countries out, it seems the government needs to assess its aid budget, and improve how the money is spent. I mean, do we even communicate with the receiving country's government? Surely there is more than Pakistani government can do to ensure the money their receive is spent properly.

Foreign aid is the only government expenditure not to be hit by the cuts

Not only that it is a department which is going to increase expenditure

Whilst back home we've got less policemen and women on the streets, people who are being priced out of education due to price hikes on tuition fees and getting rid of further education funding initiatives like EMA, an NHS which needs paying for and an Army which is complaining about not having enough resources to do its job. :rant:

Sorry for the rant :rant:

Why, are you attending a madrassa?
Indeed, the madrassa of life, as Madrassa is arabic name for a 'School', I would say we are all in it together;) Please don't consider this an attack I'm merely stating the obvious.

A BBC report the other day highlighted the disadvantages of us giving them aid

- rich people in Pakistan don't pay tax, knowing foreign aid will pay for things

- corruption - no one really knows exactly what all the aid money goes on, only some things

Although I'm all for helping poorer countries out, it seems the government needs to assess its aid budget, and improve how the money is spent. I mean, do we even communicate with the receiving country's government? Surely there is more than Pakistani government can do to ensure the money their receive is spent properly.

Foreign aid is the only government expenditure not to be hit by the cuts

Not only that it is a department which is going to increase expenditure

Whilst back home we've got less policemen and women on the streets, people who are being priced out of education due to price hikes on tuition fees and getting rid of further education funding initiatives like EMA, an NHS which needs paying for and an Army which is complaining about not having enough resources to do its job. :rant:

Sorry for the rant :rant:

Don't be sorry for the rant. After pulling myself off the floor this week on the news that we have been sending aide to 3 countries with a space programmes and nuclear weapons, it seems that new policy is to be nice to countries that might help terrorists.

Well, we can all see how well that sort of plan worked out with Libya.

Apart from the 2 points made here. Do we really want to send aide to a country that puts people to death for blasphemy? Sorry if fighting for civil and human rights all my life is now politically incorrect, but there is no way we should support countries with these sort of laws.

Don't be sorry for the rant. After pulling myself off the floor this week on the news that we have been sending aide to 3 countries with a space programmes and nuclear weapons, it seems that new policy is to be nice to countries that might help terrorists.

Well, we can all see how well that sort of plan worked out with Libya.

Apart from the 2 points made here. Do we really want to send aide to a country that puts people to death for blasphemy? Sorry if fighting for civil and human rights all my life is now politically incorrect, but there is no way we should support countries with these sort of laws.

Are you sure on the right thread here sir? :)This one is about a politician shot dead for his political views in a country riddled with terrorism.

Are you sure on the right thread here sir? :)This one is about a politician shot dead for his political views in a country riddled with terrorism.

I'm saying, "in that case, why are we giving aide to that country?"

Then there were none. It doesn't pay to hold different views in Pakistan as the only Christian government minister is shot dead in Islamabad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12617562

Pakistani Minorities Minister Shahbaz Bhatti has died after gunmen opened fire on his car in the capital Islamabad, hospital officials say.

He was travelling to work through a residential district when his vehicle was sprayed with bullets, police said.

Mr Bhatti, the cabinet's only Christian minister, had received death threats for urging reform to blasphemy laws.

In January, Punjab Governor Salman Taseer, who had also opposed the law, was shot dead by one of his bodyguards. It doesn't pay to hold different views in Pakistan

It's not about different views, most people in Pakistan view the government in the same way as people in the Middle East view their governments. The Pakistani government is very corrupt and constantly acts against it's own people in the interests of America which only angers people in Pakistan more. The war in Afghanistan and American interference in Pakistan has completly destabilised the country. Far from defeating the Taliban it is the reason for the rise of the Taliban in Pakistan. The government are seen as puppets by the majority of people. There is no democracy in Pakistan the poor in the villages get told who to vote for by the land owners and ballet fraud is wide spread.

please read my post again it really is quite easy, killing people is not a fundamental of any religion including Islam. Extremists should be treated as such and the Taliban who claimed they carried out the killing are extremists and not fundamentalists, extremists just like Phil is on here. I take it Phil is an extremist and not a fundamentalist Christian?

I beg to differ sir. Read the Quran, it's in there.

Archived