What do you like about Sheffield?

I agree with oscar 215 the transport system is brilliant IMHO. Can't comment on the night life. The Castle Market area of the city is a filthy dump. The lack of respect that the people who use the area show absolutely staggers me.

The industrial dereliction fascinates and saddens me. I am going to find time to photograph some of it.

I moved here from London some years ago

what I love

size - it's big enough to have a good cultural life but small enough to get around easily and to feel relaxed and friendly. Countryside, good pubs and restaurants, made lots of friends

what I don't

nothing really - if I had to say anything bit slow on service culture

btw- why are you asking? is it a research project?

Ann

http://www.wellthought.co.uk

I've not lived in sheffield for many a year but the things that bring me back include the friendly people, real ale pubs/micro breweries, great public transport, henderson's relish, proper fishcakes, green spaces, peace/winter gardens, closeness to the Peak District. I also like meadowhall, supermarkets and the city centre shops.

I came to uni here 7 years ago and never went back home! It felt like home from home straight away. It has the feel of a small town with all that is going on in a big city. You're a stones throw away from the countryside and there's lots of places of interest. And most importantly I think the thing that kept me here was Sheffield people. Everyone is so warm and welcoming and there is a sense of community here which most big cities have lost over the years.

My Sheffield-born fiancé tells me all the time that this is 'God's County' - don't tell him but I think he might be right! :)

@ Ann

yes it's a research project. It involves looking into how we interpret our urban environment.

for example, one area that interests me is how we perceive the need to recognise sheffield's industrial age, compared to the need for sheffield to celebrate a new identity of modern culture, arts, media and environmental interests.

everyones opinions and comments are welcome, and the idea is simply to hear from actual residents of sheffield, how they feel about their city, and i really appreciate everyones input. :)

I have lived here nearly 4 years, and personally i have grown to love it. for many of the reasons already mentioned. i know people that came here for uni or work 10-15 years ago, and never left! Also many friends who have grown up here, say they'd never live in any other city. :)

nothing anymore its crap a total s------e in fact, boarded up shops, pound shops in town centre, rip off bus prices, filth and squalor - (some areas) crap weather, pubs closing down or flattened on every corner etc - and before people advise me to leave believe me i would if i could.

And i have every right to my opinion as i was (probably) one of the few people on SF who was actually born here, as were my parents/grandparents/great grandparents/ great great grandparents and so on ....................

Sadly the pound shops in the town centre seem to be blighting most small to medium sized towns these days.

As for the pubs closing, I hate to blame the management but they must be doing something wrong. I go from one side of Liverpool to the other every Friday on a real ale crawl and all are packed. The ones which close are those which only sell the bland tasteless fizz that is Carling, Carlsberg, Fosters, John Smith's and Guinness.

Plus I don't think you can blame the weather on anyone. Try Manchester where it rains far more often!