‘Cannabis Raises Psychosis Risk' in teenagers

Do you believe this to be true?

If so, can you explain why the rate among the population of psychosis and schizophrenie is unchanged at 2%, despite an explosion in cannabis use?

I expect not.

If the "explosion" is recent then will we see an increase in psychosis in the future after the users have been smoking it for longer..? I have no issue either way with cannabis use...

it doesn't cause psychosis.

To be fair to Bassman, even though it is a pain to me, the study has added to the debate.

WHAT IS ALREADY KNOWN ON THIS TOPIC

Cannabis use is associated with increased risk for psychotic disorder

The temporal association between cannabis use and the onset of psychotic symptoms, as

well as the mechanism by which cannabis use leads to psychotic disorder, remain unknown

WHAT THIS STUDY ADDS

Cannabis use precedes the onset of psychotic symptoms in individuals with no history of

psychotic experiences; incident cannabis use was associated with incident psychotic

experiences four years later

Continued use of cannabis might increase the risk for psychotic disorder by impacting on

persistence of (normally transitory) psychotic experiences in young people

It always interests me that cannabis is the only thing that causes problems and alcohol is innocent. I have looked after 2 people with a syndrome called Korsakoffs caused by alcohol, and believe me, trying to work in a residental home looking after the elderly along with 2 quite young strapping fellas suffering the consiquences was very scary, I was in shock that they were housed together, and often wonder why? Its as though the wine glugging people in charge want to pretend its not there.

I have seen both sides and Im not convinced that cannabis is as bad as people make out.

First i think it makes a hell of a difference if a person fully understands the symptoms of being para, and then they have a better chance of controling their mind, second the chavs dont make a noise out in the allwyways, they just have a laugh and a bite to eat:hihi:, if you compare this to the bedlam of teenagers on booze its a godsend!!! thirdly to completly condrict number 1 and 2 i dont believe the chavs are of an age to be able to fully understand what being para is, or indeed that cannabis is where it should stop, rather than moving on to harder stuff, I think you have to be slightly older and able to compare personal experience of both to be able to decide.

The best programmes iv seen back to back were the other week, first one about canabis with whats his face??:huh: Martin Fowler off eastenders, followed by one about booze, with someones poor daughter half naked, off her head on booze probably about to get raped, always in bother with the old bill:suspect: Im not convinced me.

It always interests me that cannabis is the only thing that causes problems and alcohol is innocent. I have looked after 2 people with a syndrome called Korsakoffs caused by alcohol, and believe me, trying to work in a residental home looking after the elderly along with 2 quite young strapping fellas suffering the consiquences was very scary, I was in shock that they were housed together, and often wonder why? Its as though the wine glugging people in charge want to pretend its not there.

I have seen both sides and Im not convinced that cannabis is as bad as people make out.

First i think it makes a hell of a difference if a person fully understands the symptoms of being para, and then they have a better chance of controling their mind, second the chavs dont make a noise out in the allwyways, they just have a laugh and a bite to eat:hihi:, if you compare this to the bedlam of teenagers on booze its a godsend!!! thirdly to completly condrict number 1 and 2 i dont believe the chavs are of an age to be able to fully understand what being para is, or indeed that cannabis is where it should stop, rather than moving on to harder stuff, I think you have to be slightly older and able to compare personal experience of both to be able to decide.

The best programmes iv seen back to back were the other week, first one about canabis with whats his face??:huh: Martin Fowler off eastenders, followed by one about booze, with someones poor daughter half naked, off her head on booze probably about to get raped, always in bother with the old bill:suspect: Im not convinced me.

Well said, the A&E departments all over England are NOT full of dope smokers on a Saturday night.

What about the people who have a joint and drink alcohol?

Most people I know who do one also do the other often at the same time.

What about people who wear jeans?

Or trainers?

I bet loads of people who wear jeans and trainers go on to develop psychosis.

This does not mean that jeans and trainers cause psychosis.

What about people who wear jeans?

Or trainers?

I bet loads of people who wear jeans and trainers go on to develop psychosis.

This does not mean that jeans and trainers cause psychosis.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:.

You are really a very strange person.

To be fair to Bassman, even though it is a pain to me, the study has added to the debate.

WHAT IS ALREADY KNOWN ON THIS TOPIC

Cannabis use is associated with increased risk for psychotic disorder

The temporal association between cannabis use and the onset of psychotic symptoms, as

well as the mechanism by which cannabis use leads to psychotic disorder, remain unknown

WHAT THIS STUDY ADDS

Cannabis use precedes the onset of psychotic symptoms in individuals with no history of

psychotic experiences; incident cannabis use was associated with incident psychotic

experiences four years later

Continued use of cannabis might increase the risk for psychotic disorder by impacting on

persistence of (normally transitory) psychotic experiences in young people

yeah, but we all know this. we also know that the lack of history of mental illness does not mean you're not going to get it. not saying all cases are coincidence but we can say it caused their psychosis for sure. some people's mental illnesses manifest in puberty, some later, with or without weed.

but i do agree that young'ens should be prevented from taking weed not sure complete prohibition and jail is the right way to go.

Archived