Car problems with dealer

To be honest, if he's being so shifty I'd be wary of any repair he'd undertake.

Although it will cost you up front your best chance of getting a good car out of this is to hope he doesn't respond.

You then get it repaired at a decent garage and sue him for the costs, including the inspection and any hire cars.

You should perhaps offer him one last chance to make the car good - but do this in writing and keep a copy (a small claims judge will like you for this).

If he refuses, then as the other posters are saying get an independent report of the fault and take it back to him giving him the chance to fix it. If he refuses, you'll first have to pay for the repair then, again, present him with the bill. If he refuses to pay, go straight to the court and pick up a small claims track envelope, fill it in and send it off.

He will not win, and will have to pay you for any expenses you have incurred plus the claim submisison fee (about a hundred punds). You can't claim for your own lost time, but all other costs can be added to the claim.

The courts almost always side with the consumer even if the case is borderline - yours is not. You have a recept saying warranty, and he's refusing to honour it.

I took a dealer to small claims court and won under the consumber protection act.

not same fault but a two major faults with car within 24hrs of purchasing you have rights and they have to as a trader see to those rights.

1. offer him chance to repair in writing (registered letter) by a set deadline

2. if he offers you have to let him do it

3. if he refuses or stalls then write again (registered letter) stating you will take to court

4. Follow up on it and take him to court for cost of repairs by a reputable garage

5. get reports and estimates from reputable garage

6. include interest bearing and your costs in claim

7. doesn't matter about warranty. can't remember the actual wording but this does not affect your rights under consumber protection

8. DO NOT GO TO TRADING STANDARDS THEY ARE A WASTE OF TIME!

Good luck

friday today and still no warrenty booklet , my missus rung him again and hes admited to us that there isnt a warrenty and hes been paying out of his own pocket and still refuses to pay for this fault hes offered to go halfs but no idea how much it could be upto £500 he has said , he shold be sorting it out without me having to pay anything , he slammed the phone down on her aswell that made me angry but angry wont help

consumer direct is instucting us from now ,then they are passing it onto trading standards

like i said earlyer it says 3 months warrenty on my invoice lol

glad you are being helped by Consumer Direct.

Quoting 3 months warranty is just a garages way of stating the rights you have as a consumer. It makes it sound like they are supplying it themselves but the car would be covered even if they didn't state it on the invoice.

The fault occurred soon after you purchased the car so the dealer should make repairs and cover the whole cost himself. No doubt consumer direct will tell you all this.

Make sure you keep a log of everything including telephone calls etc..

Archived