Scientific afterlife hypothesis

He's not saying, "bigger", he's saying "infinite", something for which there is no evidence. Hence, wishful thinking.

Infinity is bigger than "Y" big, which is the current observation, we used to be only able to observe that the universe was "X" big. There is no reason why the universe can't be infinite, except that we can't get our heads around the concept. There may well be a limited amount of matter in the universe, but the vaccuous space may have no end as far as we know.

Pesonally though, I think it may be finite. That doesn't mean it CAN'T be infinite.

There is no evidence to suggest that the universe is infinite, all the evidence we have suggests otherwise. Your opinion is just wishful thinking.

The universe is both finite (there is only one of it) and infinite (its constituent parts have the potential to be arranged in an endless number of different ways).

(And I offer no apologies for dredging this thread up from the (slight) depths, I'd rather enjoyed reading through last time I logged on.)

Infinity is bigger than "Y" big, which is the current observation, we used to be only able to observe that the universe was "X" big. There is no reason why the universe can't be infinite, except that we can't get our heads around the concept. There may well be a limited amount of matter in the universe, but the vaccuous space may have no end as far as we know.

Pesonally though, I think it may be finite. That doesn't mean it CAN'T be infinite.

Back in 1600 Giordanno Bruno brought infinity out of the confines of maths and philosophy and into the astronomy arena, he was burnt at the stake for trying to enlighten the dark dense dictators of knowledge of the time.

I'm afraid your spitting in the wind my friend, they won't listen until it either appears in a scientific paper, textbook or on't telly.

Cyclone tried debating against me awhile back over my claims that the Russians and Chinese were hacking the crap out of the UK.

And he was preaching about how the 128 bit encryptions were the bees knees and nobody on earth had the capabilities of hacking anything, because it's all secure.

Now he has to go back on all that he said back then.

Because now the UK tugboat managed to steer its way into the cyber era.

Now look at them, they're preaching hackers this hackers that, cyber crime here, cyber crime there.

They're even setting up a group of erm.... test subjects to hunt down these haxors and bring them to justice.

Cyclone likes to spend his time watching Brian Cox chat science fiction BS on his holidays funded by the T.V. license payers, and in his Cern lab that might have interesting results if it doesn't work properly or find the Higgs Boson (claiming his pay check from every person in Europe for doing so).

The modern face of science shows the mentality of modern science, say ought to get moolah out of the sheople.

Interesting stuff.

I think your claims about the hacking debate could do with a link, your memory might be a little flawed...

And I'm afraid I've no idea who brian cox is.

Going back to RootsBoosters comments, there's a good reason we don't think it's infinite, it seems to be growing and we are able to work back predict when it started, which pretty much implies that it's not infinite since you can't reach an infinity by starting off finite and getting larger.

And escapists comments, if there's a finite amount of matter, then there's a finite amount of ways of arranging it, it's an incredibly huge amount of ways, but still finite.

The universe is both finite (there is only one of it) and infinite (its constituent parts have the potential to be arranged in an endless number of different ways).

(And I offer no apologies for dredging this thread up from the (slight) depths, I'd rather enjoyed reading through last time I logged on.)

1. We know there is only one universe, that is why it is called "uni"

2. We know magnetism and gravity have a constraining influence so would this affect the number of permutations i.e. not infinite?

3. RootsBooster was asking if the size of the universe is potentially infinite. How do you reply please?

Pick a childhood memory - a strong, vivid memory from when you were under 10.

What part of you has persisted from that day to this? Certainly none of the matter that makes up your body - that's all been replaced with new matter.

The only thing that has persisted is the information.

Now consider that the universe is merely a projection into space and matter of a greater dimensional reality within the multiverse, then this is where the information resides. So what do we think happens to the information that is us here on the surface of this universal hypersphere when the matter projected by this information is no longer able to contain it?

1. We know there is only one universe, that is why it is called "uni"

2. We know magnetism and gravity have a constraining influence so would this affect the number of permutations i.e. not infinite?

3. RootsBooster was asking if the size of the universe is potentially infinite. How do you reply please?

You can stretch to reading this scientific paper if you like.

I have read similar things about black holes before and it is simply mind blowing. I'm not saying I understand it though. :D

"Accordingly, our own Universe may be the interior of a black hole existing inside another universe." Crikey me!

It makes my question to escapist null and void!

Thanks for the link Digsy.

I have read similar things about black holes before and it is simply mind blowing. I'm not saying I understand it though. :D

"Accordingly, our own Universe may be the interior of a black hole existing inside another universe." Crikey me!

Cut a long story short:-

Accordingly, our own Universe may be the interior of a black hole existing inside another universe.

WMAP evidence may suggest that another universe is expanding within our own.

Have you read the book of Enoch by any chance Grahame?

Cut a long story short:-

Have you read the book of Enoch by any chance Grahame?

I'm afraid not Digsy. I have to admit that at nearly 67 I am not as well read as I should be and in one way I wish I was starting my life over again. :)

I cannot imagine the consequences of another universe expanding within our own!

Archived