Scientific afterlife hypothesis

Doesn't that put you in the same position you were accusing me of?

I'm happy to accept that it's unresolved, you're going to take a stance despite that...

Time can't exist before spacetime exists... There's no 'before' it obviously, but it's not something outside of the universe.

You mean observable universe, that keeps getting bigger with every telescopic upgrade.

Like I said just because matter isn't present does not mean the dimensions don't exist.

See the last line of post #80 and lighten up a bit. You might even want to try and contribute!

The last line of post #80 ?

"Well, I'm a mere worker bee with little edumecation and couldn't think of the right word to use, so I used "scientific. Also the thread title didn't have enough characters for me to put it into other words"

And as said by me in a previous contribution you need to define what you mean by "afterlife," otherwise to question it by using science makes no sense. Science shows there can be no such thing as an afterlife and yet you want people to speculate on why it could be possible and chose ignore the fact that its not? Its a bit like trying to prove a negative, you cant.

"Well, I'm a mere worker bee with little edumecation and couldn't think of the right word to use, so I used "scientific. Also the thread title didn't have enough characters for me to put it into other words"

And as said by me in a previous contribution you need to define what you mean by "afterlife," otherwise to question it by using science makes no sense. Science shows there can be no such thing as an afterlife and yet you want people to speculate on why it could be possible and chose ignore the fact that its not? Its a bit like trying to prove a negative, you cant.

There are a few scientific hypotheses that could explain a kind of afterlife.

For example the one I gave above, if the universe repeats itself over and over (new data suggests that the universe may have a cycle, from finding re-used particles, I.E. particles in our known universe older than our known universe).

Then an afterlife could be a repetition of the current model repeating its same cycle over and over.

One question I do have though is:-

Why do the galaxies further out in the cosmos appear to be moving away faster than the galaxies closer to the assumed origin of the big bang?

Firstly, in this thread we must assume that something of us continues after death (whether you believe this or not). Therefore posts like "you die and that's it" or "there is no afterlife" are not valid. Please don't post them.

Secondly, religion and/or gods don't come into it at all. Please no posting about heaven or hell etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In general, most atheists and other non-religious etc. seem to think an afterlife cannot exist, usually because they associate the idea with religious beliefs.

Assuming we discovered there IS evidence of what most would call an afterlife, and just open your mind to possibility for a moment, what scientific explainations or suggestions can you come up with that might sound even remotely plausible?

Bear in mind we don't know everything in life and are constantly learning. There was a time when magnetism and electricity amongst other things were unexplained phenomena.

Maybe the neurons and grey matter that house our conscious are exactly that, just a housing, maybe our consciousness is a form unique energy in itself, and as energy cannot be created or destroyed, must continue on in some form.

I don't know, but the possibilty interests me

What happens to our bodies when we die could be seen as an afterlife, at a molecular level we break down into various elements and compounds which mix with the environment and ultimately give life to other organisms. That's the nearest I can get I'm afraid to anything remotely scientific, I don't think it would be a conscious existance, put it that way.

We are all made of matter that is circa 14 billion yrs old i.e the age of the universe. So is it not possible or even likely that, that matter has at some previous point formed all or part of another living being?

It does mean you could come back as a tomato or similar, so might not be much of an afterlife, but better than oblivion perhaps.

Oh, and life on earth came about initially apparently, via a series of chemical reactions, to form heterotrophic bacteria, which over millenia evolved via hydra etc into increasingly sophisticated organisms.

We are all made of matter that is circa 14 billion yrs old i.e the age of the universe. So is it not possible or even likely that, that matter has at some previous point formed all or part of another living being?

It does mean you could come back as a tomato or similar, so might not be much of an afterlife, but better than oblivion perhaps.

It is extremely likely to the point of certainty that the atoms that currently make up your body did used to make up the bodies of many other organisms.

However, as I think someone has already pointed out earlier, the atoms that make up your body are being replaced all the time, 10 years ago or so you had practically none of the atoms you have now, they existed in your food.

Does that mean that 10 years ago you weren't really a human and you were in fact a cheese sandwhich instead?

No of course it doesn't. You are not defined by the atoms that make up your body, you are defined by the way in which those atoms are arranged and interact with each other, which will die, forever, when you do.

There are a few scientific hypotheses that could explain a kind of afterlife.

For example the one I gave above, if the universe repeats itself over and over (new data suggests that the universe may have a cycle, from finding re-used particles, I.E. particles in our known universe older than our known universe).

Then an afterlife could be a repetition of the current model repeating its same cycle over and over.

A repetition of this life is not an afterlife in any accepted sense of the word.

One question I do have though is:-

Why do the galaxies further out in the cosmos appear to be moving away faster than the galaxies closer to the assumed origin of the big bang?

Inflation.

Edit - and thanks for the apology on the other thread admitting that I've never had a conversation with you about encryption.

A repetition of this life is not an afterlife in any accepted sense of the word.

Inflation.

Edit - and thanks for the apology on the other thread admitting that I've never had a conversation with you about encryption.

afterlife [ˈɑːftəˌlaɪf]

n

life after death or at a later time in a person's lifetime

If I die tomorrow, and in an infinite amount of time in the future I happen to be born to this life again, I'd take that as an afterlife, because the 2nd came after the 1st, an infinite amount of times.

I quite like the idea of repeating multi-verses.

It is extremely likely to the point of certainty that the atoms that currently make up your body did used to make up the bodies of many other organisms.

However, as I think someone has already pointed out earlier, the atoms that make up your body are being replaced all the time, 10 years ago or so you had practically none of the atoms you have now, they existed in your food.

Does that mean that 10 years ago you weren't really a human and you were in fact a cheese sandwhich instead?

No of course it doesn't. You are not defined by the atoms that make up your body, you are defined by the way in which those atoms are arranged and interact with each other, which will die, forever, when you do.

Don't DNA and and genes have atoms?

Superb thread. I love all the queries and postulations. Going back to the atom idea, since atoms never die, but go on to make up other forms, couldn't it be possible that they retain some particles of information, memory, perhaps? If many of us have atoms that once lived in dinosaurs, it could be said that we have 'memories' of many past people, animals, lives.

Also, given that the earth has been hit many times by meteors, we could all be made up at least partly be alien lifeforms.

I think we live on in the form of reincarnation, since we are made up of energy/atoms which never die off.

Or could we be part of some parallel universes?

*Awards 25 "Free Thinker" points*

Well, we're not doing bad so far!

*Deducts 50 "Free Thinker" points*

Archived