Scientific afterlife hypothesis

I love this thread

Do many people contemplate suicide just to see if anything happens after, because they're so excited about it via this thread?

(I know, I know... there's no afterlife blahblah)

Come back and tell us if anything does happen :D

You would experience the following afterlife, just because your not consciously experiencing it (definition of afterlife doesn't state that you have to consciously experience it) does not mean that your atom structure don't experience the afterlife (defined as what happens after you die).

The life bit would seem to be relevant though. Nobody has argued that your substance disappears when you die. Merely that the information that is 'you' does.

Until the repeat episode, which does comply with the definition of afterlife as in life after death.

No definition I've found states that you have to experience anything consciously.

Life after death pretty obviously implies a continuity of existence, if the information that is you is gone, you're not talking about life after death, but about recycling.

Come back and tell us if anything does happen :D

*commits world's first happy suicide...*

waits....

Ah! oh wait....

there's a multiple choice thingy I can't quite read properly. Answers are:

a) Lion

b) Bird

c) Rabbit

d) Dung beetle

*ticks D*

WHOOOSH *FLASH*

Oh bugger

Time is a part of the Universe. To talk about time existing outside of the Universe is to speak in gibberish.

There is no proof that time does not exist outside the universe.

If you read the paper about the universe existing inside a wormhole inside a black hole held inside another universe, and assuming it true, time does exist outside the universe.

Time as we know it, I.E. measured by the speed of light, is our observable time, the big bang being the beginning of our observable time.

But I guess the trained scientists coming up with these theories are talking gibberish.

These theories I put forward are not my own, they belong to people trained in the field, I just happen to choose the ones I like to build up my own image of everything.

Incidentally, on the size of the observable Universe; we have indeed been able to observe more of it every time we build a better telescope, but we're very close to the limit now, unless something turns up to show that Hubble's Law is not in fact true. Anything more than about 14 billion light-years away would be retreating from us at greater than the speed of light, and therefore whether it exists or not it will forever be beyond observation.

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_age.html

When the people taking the measurements start saying that the evidence suggests that the universe is larger if not infinitely larger than our observable space.

If it is forever beyond observation, then there will be no way of finding out if the universe is infinite or not.

The life bit would seem to be relevant though. Nobody has argued that your substance disappears when you die. Merely that the information that is 'you' does.

But the information that is you, is stored in time, namely in the past, still stored somewhere within the two dimensions of time.

Life after death pretty obviously implies a continuity of existence, if the information that is you is gone, you're not talking about life after death, but about recycling.

If that is your definition of life after death then I agree it is impossible for you to continue existing, if the information that is you is now locked in the past, and the new information that is you is subject to decomposition.

Recycling/life after death, call it what you want, it literally means the same to me.

Why do the galaxies further out in the cosmos appear to be moving away faster than the galaxies closer to the assumed origin of the big bang?

The trouble with that is there was no assumed origin of the Big Bang as it happened everywhere. The evidence of that comes from the Cosmic Background Radiation and that's the reason why there is no centre to the universe.

The galaxies that are further away may be moving faster according to the Doppler shift but that may also be influenced by curved space and time.

The trouble with that is there was no assumed origin of the Big Bang as it happened everywhere. The evidence of that comes from the Cosmic Background Radiation and that's the reason why there is no centre to the universe.

The galaxies that are further away may be moving faster according to the Doppler shift but that may also be influenced by curved space and time.

So the Big Bang was everywhere (Omnipresent) and all powerful (Omnipotent) and we don't know what was behind it but it happened at a fixed point in time. Marvellous!

But the information that is you, is stored in time, namely in the past, still stored somewhere within the two dimensions of time.

We all experience time in a linear fashion, with the exception of tachyons everything does as far as we can tell. The information isn't 'locked' in the past of course, I'm still me now, just as I was 5 minutes ago. But end the biological processes that maintain my informational state and I'll quite quickly not be me anymore, no matter what you do with the matter that makes up my body.

If that is your definition of life after death then I agree it is impossible for you to continue existing, if the information that is you is now locked in the past, and the new information that is you is subject to decomposition.

Recycling/life after death, call it what you want, it literally means the same to me.

That suggests to me that you are ignoring the word life in the phrase, and not working to the same definition that everyone else is...

We all experience time in a linear fashion, with the exception of tachyons everything does as far as we can tell. The information isn't 'locked' in the past of course, I'm still me now, just as I was 5 minutes ago. But end the biological processes that maintain my informational state and I'll quite quickly not be me anymore, no matter what you do with the matter that makes up my body.

That suggests to me that you are ignoring the word life in the phrase, and not working to the same definition that everyone else is...

But what about what we CAN'T tell, like any continuance of the information after death? Maybe as Digsy said, the info still continues within the 2 dimensions of time, but as yet we can't observe it.

So the Big Bang was everywhere (Omnipresent) and all powerful (Omnipotent) and we don't know what was behind it but it happened at a fixed point in time. Marvellous!

I don't think it took 7 days though ;)

But what about what we CAN'T tell, like any continuance of the information after death? Maybe as Digsy said, the info still continues within the 2 dimensions of time, but as yet we can't observe it.

I don't think it took 7 days though ;)

Neither do I. Day could mean anything from 24 hours to an age or era.

Archived