Scientific afterlife hypothesis

Grahame,

Think of DNA as a recipe to build a physical person. Even with the same ingredients, 100 people with the same DNA would not be 'the same person'. Just as everyone with green eyes does not have the same personality. Take this a step further - two / four / eight exact physical clones (built from DNA) will develope differently through growth and not be the same person. Even if they experienced exactly the same things, their brains would be wired slightly differently and would therefore respond differently.

If you accept DNA does not make the 'life', you have to accept DNA cannot be a form of afterlife - unless you want to get all poetic and abstract - which we dont!

No, your DNA is the basis for you, your DNA and your life defines you. Without repeating your life it would be impossible to recreate you.

What came first, my life or my DNA? I suggest my DNA came first and that is what made me.

My life is what I live from day to day, but don't confuse that with the life force within me.

Grahame,

Think of DNA as a recipe to build a physical person. Even with the same ingredients, 100 people with the same DNA would not be 'the same person'. Just as everyone with green eyes does not have the same personality. Take this a step further - two / four / eight exact physical clones (built from DNA) will develope differently through growth and not be the same person. Even if they experienced exactly the same things, their brains would be wired slightly differently and would therefore respond differently.

If you accept DNA does not make the 'life', you have to accept DNA cannot be a form of afterlife - unless you want to get all poetic and abstract - which we dont!

The essential me are my genes, DNA is the building blocks. Inject life into them and I am returned to life which is what happened with primeval sludge that over time developed into my DNA but 'life' is independent of DNA which for me (and you) already exists even when we are dead, all that is missing is that spark of life.

The essential me are my genes, DNA is the building blocks. Inject life into them and I am returned to life which is what happened with primeval sludge that over time developed into my DNA but 'life' is independent of DNA which for me (and you) already exists even when we are dead, all that is missing is that spark of life.

Its great that you're thinking and applying your own thoughts, but, you need to refer to the question put to you more specifically; otherwise you're just stating some unrelated thoughts that dont progress the conversation.

The point is, even if exactly the same physical building blocks, left to develop, two or even a hundred people of the same initial DNA will turn out to be different people.

In that sense, you are completely wrong to say 'YOU' would return to life if your DNA was copied and grown into a new human. The fact is, whilst your DNA had a massive impact on who you are, 'YOU' are not entirely described by your DNA.

Do you accept the above point?

I'm pretty sure day means 24hours, unless you're using it to describe the period of visible daylight, which would be less.

The Hebrew word for day is yome which means: -

yome

From an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literally (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figuratively (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverbially): - age, + always, + chronicles, continually (-ance), daily, ([birth-], each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, X end, + evening, + forever (-lasting, -more), X full, life, as (so) long as (. . . live), (even) now, + old, + outlived, + perpetually, presently, + remaineth, X required, season, X since, space, then, (process of) time, + as at other times, + in trouble, weather, (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), X whole (+ age), (full) year (-ly), + younger.

Its great that you're thinking and applying your own thoughts, but, you need to refer to the question put to you more specifically; otherwise you're just stating some unrelated thoughts that dont progress the conversation.

The point is, even if exactly the same physical building blocks, left to develop, two or even a hundred people of the same initial DNA will turn out to be different people.

In that sense, you are completely wrong to say 'YOU' would return to life if your DNA was copied and grown into a new human. The fact is, whilst your DNA had a massive impact on who you are, 'YOU' are not entirely described by your DNA.

Do you accept the above point?

NO, because my DNA will not be copied, it will be me with new life injected. If I die this minute will my DNA change in any way?

All I will have will be a new body which may not be like my present body, but my body is not me.

I don't think Steven Hawkins body was him. He was greater than the sum of the total parts.

NO, because my DNA will not be copied, it will be me with new life injected. If I die this minute will my DNA change in any way?

Dear me. We seem to have a lack of understanding about basic conversation.

If person A says "IFX happens I believe will Y result", you are within your right to refuse to answer the question. You only show a lack of understanding if you question whether person A is permitted to state 'IF X would happen'.

In addittion, I presume you understand what a circular argument is? In basic reason you are not permitted to assume the answer of your question as a fact to prove the answer of the question.

As stated in previous posts 'You are not your DNA', DNA is only a factor of you.

One way to improve how people understand you would be to refrain from using vague statements like 'life is injected' in threads where people talk about cloning, and birth, which have meaning. It adds no value and confuses.

On this basis, IF your DNA is copied after you die (after-life) then it definitely will be copied after you die.

Back to the previous point then. If your DNA was extracted from your dead body and used to create a new human, that new human would probably bear some physical similarities to you, but would absolutely not be you.

Archived