Scientific afterlife hypothesis

What came first, my life or my DNA? I suggest my DNA came first and that is what made me.

My life is what I live from day to day, but don't confuse that with the life force within me.

Life force? Oh dear, we've come over all mystical again.

Your DNA is a blueprint for building your body. You are a product of your DNA and life so far.

The essential me are my genes, DNA is the building blocks. Inject life into them and I am returned to life which is what happened with primeval sludge that over time developed into my DNA but 'life' is independent of DNA which for me (and you) already exists even when we are dead, all that is missing is that spark of life.

No, inject life into your DNA and we have a clone of you. We could do it right now, it wouldn't create another you, it would create a physical copy that would grow up to have a different personality and be a different person.

NO, because my DNA will not be copied, it will be me with new life injected. If I die this minute will my DNA change in any way?

All I will have will be a new body which may not be like my present body, but my body is not me.

I don't think Steven Hawkins body was him. He was greater than the sum of the total parts.

Dieing would not immediately change your DNA, but then we could take DNA from you and make it into new life now, but it still wouldn't be you would it!

You are a product of your DNA and the life you have lived.

No, inject life into your DNA and we have a clone of you. We could do it right now, it wouldn't create another you, it would create a physical copy that would grow up to have a different personality and be a different person.

OK, so what do they call it when they freeze someone in the hope they will one day be able to bring them back to life. I don't believe in that by the way, but are you saying it wouldn't be them?

My DNA is not just a blueprint it is the material as well.

Absolutely wrong. The material of you comes from the womb, milk, air, food as you grown. DNA replicates when new material is taken on.

DNA is just a blueprint

OK, so what do they call it when they freeze someone in the hope they will one day be able to bring them back to life. I don't believe in that by the way, but are you saying it wouldn't be them?

If they manage to bring them back to life then the structures held in their brain will still be present. Those structures hold everything that makes them them, their memories and personality.

Taking your DNA and growing a new human wouldn't have any of the memories or experience that make you you, it would (self evidently) be a new person.

Absolutely wrong. The material of you comes from the womb, milk, air, food as you grown. DNA replicates when new material is taken on.

DNA is just a blueprint

That isn't what I meant. I meant a blueprint is inert but as you say yourself DNA replicates, a blueprint doesn't, in other words DNA is living material.

Archived