Scientific afterlife hypothesis

What a bizarre notion.

Life appeared in the form of cells (or more probably viruses but let's not fog the issue), having developed from earlier, non-living complex compounds. It didn't start off as a clump of dead cells and then spontaneously come to life. That would be an impossibility.

That is what I meant, I was meaning dead (lifeless) matter, but this time round there would be "a clump of dead cells" as you say.

Stop being silly.

Dead cells didn't come to life. There are other possibilities than the ones that you have posted.

You often post nonsense, but you have surpassed yourself this time.

Perhaps, just perhaps, those cells arose by chance. That seems much more likely to me than the existence of a loving, but vengeful God.

What do you think:cool:

I meant if matter (or whatever it was originally) can eventually become living people, then why can't it happen again?

The cells I had in mind are our cells which leave behind a DNA footprint that contains information about our origins.

Everything that we experience, the whole of reality is a frequency range.

All the particles, atoms, muons, gluons and the like right down to the stringy fabric of space/time itself is nothing more than a multitude of frequencies.

In the afterlife we simply stop paying attention to those frequencies, we switch the radio (that is our human vessel) off.

We rest in peace, until another vessel comes along giving us the means to view/listen/feel the frequencies that we accept as reality.

The cells I had in mind are our cells which leave behind a DNA footprint that contains information about our origins.

Ah, but they don't. DNA is a highly complex molecule, and bacteria break it down into far simpler ones during decomposition. (Or it gets reduced to carbon and gases if you are cremated.)

It's possible, and indeed highly likely, that those molecules will eventually end up as part of some other life form, but it's highly unlikely indeed that they will spontaneously become life. Not least because they are scattered and broken, and also because anything that was even partway along the road from non-life to life would promptly be eaten by something that already is alive. One of the key conditions required for life to arise, is that it's not already there.

We are all energy experiencing itself subjectively, we "live" in a hyperdimensional multiverse, where the 4 dimensions we perceive on a daily basis are holographic projection by-products of a "life" we are "living" in higher dimensions.

Thus when we "die" the energy within us simply dissipates into the surroundings, eventually to experience new things in new ways.

In terms of practical applications, there are none, once this conscious stage of experience ends thats it.

Additionally, I feel sorry for the person that doesn't accept that they can have a soul

May I ask why? I'm in that group. I don't believe that a soul was given to me at my conception or that it will pass on to another place when I die. I have no reason to think I have a soul anymore than I have reason to think I have a third invisible leg that stops me falling over when it is windy.

I don't think it's a massive conceptual jump to get from accepting that your mind generates a field strength outside your body to elements of your consciousness floating off into the ether.

But it is a huge leap, one made without any justification whatsoever.

The field strength you generate is pretty puny and pathetic, it could not contain 'you' or your 'soul' or anything daft like that.

I think Graeme was angling towards past lifes and being reincarnated etc. If the body is a housing for the "soul" then does it move on to another plain/dimension or body?

We are all forms of energy and energy doesn't stop just like a light going out but becomes other energy doesn't it?

Energy is not changed to matter though Graeme, it is changed/converted/becomes another type of energy. That new form of energy is not as strong or powerful as the old one. That is Entropy isn't it? I am confusing myself now with my rambling. Anyway, the energy changing/reincarnating would mean that reincarnation has a limited cycle due to entropy. My head hurts

Firstly, in this thread we must assume that something of us continues after death (whether you believe this or not). Therefore posts like "you die and that's it" or "there is no afterlife" are not valid. Please don't post them.

Secondly, religion and/or gods don't come into it at all. Please no posting about heaven or hell etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In general, most atheists and other non-religious etc. seem to think an afterlife cannot exist, usually because they associate the idea with religious beliefs.

Assuming we discovered there IS evidence of what most would call an afterlife, and just open your mind to possibility for a moment, what scientific explainations or suggestions can you come up with that might sound even remotely plausible?

Bear in mind we don't know everything in life and are constantly learning. There was a time when magnetism and electricity amongst other things were unexplained phenomena.

Maybe the neurons and grey matter that house our conscious are exactly that, just a housing, maybe our consciousness is a form unique energy in itself, and as energy cannot be created or destroyed, must continue on in some form.

I don't know, but the possibilty interests me

It might be worth you checking out Frank Tipler's 'Omega Point' concept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_J._Tipler

He's an scientist with a theory which concludes that everyone who's ever lived will be resurected in the last instants of the Universe just before it collapses at the end of time (the 'Big Crunch').

By which point intelligent life will have created a super-computer integrated into the collapsing matter of the universe, fed by the energy of the collapse.

He claims to show that, mathematically, as the processing power/speed of the computer is linked to the available energy of the collapse, that the processing speed increases exponantially in such a way that the ratio of processing speed/power to time left before the universe dissapears, approaches infinity.

If true, that means that the emulated virtual beings which the computer creates (which are effectively all possible human consciousnesses and hence, the 'ressurections' of everyone who has lived) will, from their perspectives, have an infinite time in which to exist, despite the fact that the universe's lifespan is finite.

Though Tipler's theory is not accepted as true in the scientific world, he is not seen as a crank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_J._Tipler

Archived