Tell us a tale of how you "got into" a band or solo artist.

So, I was sixteen and I had the proper hots for Tracey Murray, 18. I was too shy to ever say anything to her unless it was about our shared love of rock music. So, I did her a compilation tape with the cunning plan of having the first letter of each song spell "I Love You" in a mnemonic stylee.

The only flaw was that I didn't posess a single song beginning with "V".

So ... I wandered up to the house of Alan Parkin, a fairly close friend with a face a little bit like a fish and a seriously massive album collection.

After scouring for minutes, the nearest we could find was "The Very Last Time" by Utopia, Todd Rundgren's band. "That'll do", thought I, "I'll just miss off the 'The'". Job done. The plan worked and thus began a 2-3 week relationship.

More importantly, because I'd had to take the album home to record the song on my TDK chrome C60 (nowt but the best for my wooees), I listened to the album and very quickly developed a love for all things Todd which remains to this day.

Without Tracey and Alan I'd probably never have heard such gems as Chain Letter, Healing, Cry Baby, Miracle in the Bazaar, Sing Ring and the Glass Guitar, Magic Dragon Theatre, International Feel, Eastern Intrigue, Bang on the Drum All Day or Initiation and I wouldn't have taken the opportunity to see the man himself at Austin Opera House when I happened to be in the area in 1991.

Cheers guys!

Archived