Hitler's innocence

Married with Children ended a few years back but is now in re-runs on one of our cabe channels. My wife and I always found it funny but if our kids had been at the age when kids start to ask awkward questions then they would never have been allowed to watch.

The Simpsons sends the message that the man about the house is an inept dope and South Park with it's profanity isn't for any kid under 16 in my opinion.

When at our house our grandaughters watch the Flinstones or Scooby Do.

Good shows for kids ten and under

I agree with your point about Homer being an idiot (but to be fair, Fred and Barney aren't much better), but I do try and emphasise that the whole program is not real. Come to think of it, we never seem to see any of the old cartoons such as the Flintstones, Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat etc on our TVs now. Or Tom and Jerry. We do still get Scooby Do, though. (...and of course Tom and Jerry's evil twins in the form of Itchy & Scratchy).

I'd sooner my kids watched Walt Disney offerings than crap like South Park. the Simpsons and Married with Children.

Soon enough kids of today grow up to be cynical enough without exposing them to this kind of satrical humoour created by left overs from the anti_establishment generation

In all fairness to the creators of South Park, their satire challenges a broad spectrum of beliefs and values. Without the profanity, South Park at worst would teach children to use their critical faculties without bias.

On the other hand, South Park was clearly not made to educate kids about the hypocrisy, blind prejudice and plain stupidity of many aspects of modern society. However, I think it offers more intellectual stimulation than the airy fairy tripe produced by Disney Corp.

I'd sooner my kids watched Walt Disney offerings than crap like South Park.

...On the other hand, South Park was clearly not made to educate kids ...

I would like to think that any parent with young children wouldn't let them watch Southpark! It's not for kids!

It's shown at about midnight; with a big disclaimer at the beginning of every episode warning of bad language & adult themes; and the movie was rated 15.

I would like to think that any parent with young children wouldn't let them watch Southpark! It's not for kids!

It's shown at about midnight; with a big disclaimer at the beginning of every episode warning of bad language & adult themes; and the movie was rated 15.

I don't think kids would understand the satire anyway.

But the kind of stuff Disney churns out is at the other extreme - mind numbing, degenerate tripe, and far worse because kids can actually grasp it.

In all fairness to the creators of South Park, their satire challenges a broad spectrum of beliefs and values. Without the profanity, South Park at worst would teach children to use their critical faculties without bias.

On the other hand, South Park was clearly not made to educate kids about the hypocrisy, blind prejudice and plain stupidity of many aspects of modern society. However, I think it offers more intellectual stimulation than the airy fairy tripe produced by Disney Corp.

I dont see any redeeming social value (to coin a 60s phrase) in a program like South Park. I always think that it's kind of audience are mostly bored 15-17 year old high school drop outs. If it's purpose is to point out the negatives of modern society and by doing this it can somehow improve their prospects in life :suspect: it may achieve some useful purpose otherwise it's more or less a waste of time IMO as anything educational.

A young child's innocence is something to be treasured. It's a fleeting thing that passes all to quickly. Let them enjoy the fantasy world of Disneyland, that the good always win over the bad and every story has a happy ending.

The reality arrives soon enough

As I mentioned in another post it's main audience I believe are 15-17 year old high school flunkers who find it's profanity and adult themes entertaining. (Hey Dude! It's cool stuff man)

At midnight the great majority of the newly pubescent are sound asleep in their beds in preparaion for another day at school.

I suppose being brought up in the existence of foreigners who did little to build the country and seemingly extract the wealth created a chip on his shoulder. He did something about it, that has to stand for something. As a logistics exercise I can imagine it was the bean counters that forced the genocide. Yes its the accountants fault.

I dont think it wil be long befroe we have a Hitler here. The Brits managed to kill more jews than the Germans ever did along time before the wars.

It's not all low brow, to build a defence of it. There is some worthy satire in it. The Cherokee Hair Tampons episode is wonderful.

Yes I can see how the connection between an indigenous American people and a female sanitary product is somehow wonderful :D

Have they come up with a Mister Condom character yet? :hihi:

Archived