Another adult martial arts question (sorry lol)

hi everyone

i know there are lots of threads on the whole martial arts topic but my questions are a bit specific if anyone can help.

i did some taekwondo as a young kid and enjoyed it but dropped out as i was being pushed to compete and was too shy. i am interested in getting back into it but more as a fitness thing than anything else. i wanted to know- is it always a contact sport even when sparring in a training session?

i have googled martial arts in sheffield and most clubs now seem to just offer mixed martial arts rather than 1 specific like taekwondo- i have read on another thread that this isnt always the best what are peoples opinions if i am just looking at it from a fitness pov?

also several of the clubs i have looked at you have to pay a membership, soemone i have just spoken to quoted £45 per month which i think is v expensive when you can get a gym membership inc all classes for around £25-30. is this "the norm " or are some pay per session

lastly i am ideally looking for women only classes on either thursday/friday/saturday/or sunday pref this side of the city south east sheffield around s13

any help appreciated :)

hi everyone

i know there are lots of threads on the whole martial arts topic but my questions are a bit specific if anyone can help.

i did some taekwondo as a young kid and enjoyed it but dropped out as i was being pushed to compete and was too shy. i am interested in getting back into it but more as a fitness thing than anything else. i wanted to know- is it always a contact sport even when sparring in a training session?

i have googled martial arts in sheffield and most clubs now seem to just offer mixed martial arts rather than 1 specific like taekwondo- i have read on another thread that this isnt always the best what are peoples opinions if i am just looking at it from a fitness pov?

also several of the clubs i have looked at you have to pay a membership, soemone i have just spoken to quoted £45 per month which i think is v expensive when you can get a gym membership inc all classes for around £25-30. is this "the norm " or are some pay per session

lastly i am ideally looking for women only classes on either thursday/friday/saturday/or sunday pref this side of the city south east sheffield around s13

any help appreciated :)

I have a kickboxing club in Sheffield City Centre , we have both options. Pay as you go (£5 per class) or £45 per month which is pretty much standard for most clubs.

My club AFK do not charge a membership fee , you only pay for what you use.

We also have a womens only kickboxing class every Thursday.

Ring 07775 914155 if you are interested.

http://www.sheffieldkickboxingclub.co.uk

Hi diamond123,

I'm sure there will be plenty of places available where you can focus on your fitness rather than contact sparring. A quick google search shows these two places as being nearest to s13 ...

Sheffield Dragons College Of Martial Arts - 34 Market Square, Sheffield, South Yorkshire - 0114 288 0300

Makenki Karate Clubs - http://www.makarate.co.uk - 153 Retford Road, Sheffield - 0114 201 4595

No idea what they'll be like, maybe other forum members have experience of them?

You could try Crystal Peaks Freestyle Taekwondo, they have a ladies Kickbox class which may be of interest. - They're on Holbrook industrial estate.

My own class is mixed, it's not too far from s13 (Hurlfield Road, just off the top of East Bank Road) - see the url in my signature for details.

Cheers,

M

Hi diamond123 ive just spent the last couple of weeks looking/visiting martial art clubs I was manly looking for pay as you go clubs (due to a job promotion i'm now looking for 1 on 1 training) for taekwondo pilsung taekwondo seems to have the best rep and has clubs dotted around sheff they also use the eis as one of there venues they charge around 5 pound for an hour session. Cheapest I found was sonbae taekwondo in killamarsh sports center they charge 3 pound for a two hour lesson every thursday. As for finding a ladies only traditional martial arts class I think you find it hard as my searching never came up with any, if you are just wanting female only classes I would look more into kickboxing there are quite a few that do female only classes. Hope this helps

Hi diamond123,

I'm sure there will be plenty of places available where you can focus on your fitness rather than contact sparring. A quick google search shows these two places as being nearest to s13 ...

Sheffield Dragons College Of Martial Arts - 34 Market Square, Sheffield, South Yorkshire - 0114 288 0300

Makenki Karate Clubs - http://www.makarate.co.uk - 153 Retford Road, Sheffield - 0114 201 4595

No idea what they'll be like, maybe other forum members have experience of them?

You could try Crystal Peaks Freestyle Taekwondo, they have a ladies Kickbox class which may be of interest. - They're on Holbrook industrial estate.

My own class is mixed, it's not too far from s13 (Hurlfield Road, just off the top of East Bank Road) - see the url in my signature for details.

Cheers,

M

Im biased as i train at AFK but AFK kickboxing do a ladies class once a week. Theres all sorts there some are well fit and are quite good while some are really beginnerish. Theres a lot of assistant coaches and padholders helping out as well. Those clubs you mentioned though Sheffield Dragons seems like a bit of a money making scheme and Crystal peaks freestyle Taekwondo (what the hell is Freestyle Taekwondo anyway???) i have heard and read more bad than good about the place. I wouldnt attend either , especially when Sheffield is full of clubs that teach a good standard of martial arts.

Archived