Another adult martial arts question (sorry lol)

Hi diamond123 ive just spent the last couple of weeks looking/visiting martial art clubs I was manly looking for pay as you go clubs (due to a job promotion i'm now looking for 1 on 1 training) for taekwondo pilsung taekwondo seems to have the best rep and has clubs dotted around sheff they also use the eis as one of there venues they charge around 5 pound for an hour session. Cheapest I found was sonbae taekwondo in killamarsh sports center they charge 3 pound for a two hour lesson every thursday. As for finding a ladies only traditional martial arts class I think you find it hard as my searching never came up with any, if you are just wanting female only classes I would look more into kickboxing there are quite a few that do female only classes. Hope this helps

I conduct a Ladies Only Traditional Okinawan Goju Ryu class on Monday nights in Hillsborough (http://www.sheffieldgojuryu.co.uk/ladies.html).

Female instructor. £5/class pay as you go. Training for practical self defence - not to look pretty. ;)

well i am even more confused now lol so much confliciting advice minefield!

Theres no conflicting advice here. Just mentions on which are good and bad clubs. Im biased and am going to say AFK is possibly one of the best kickboxing gyms in Sheffield and maybe even South Yorkshire but the proof is in the pudding. Ive seen our guys fight on fighting events and most of the time they win! If youre not into the competing side of it, even the students who dont compete have very good technique and are taught very well by committed instructors who arent in it just for the money like many other clubs.

i always though karate was naff...... but this i like

what are the rules.... first to die looses

Hi mate, hope your new little one is thriving! Did you not know that GSP started martial arts (and indeed got his black belt) in Kyokoshin? Mas Oyama, the founder of Kyokoshin was legendary for his toughness. The first karate book I ever got was by Steve Arneill of Kyokoshin. Out of interest from the karateka on here: is there a kyokoshin club in Sheffield? (Just for information of course - it's so much easier just rolling around the floor!) Noel

Madrev. As mentioned there used to be one under Sheff or Hallam uni. Historically was always London or southern based. Used to be a good club in Leicester I believe there's also one in Lancs, Manchester area, somewhere like Oldham. I once went to their nationals at Crystal Palace, their competitors had to break wood to start the competition off. I think Shukokai and Goju are also good for power techniques.

Madrev. As mentioned there used to be one under Sheff or Hallam uni. Historically was always London or southern based. Used to be a good club in Leicester I believe there's also one in Lancs, Manchester area, somewhere like Oldham. I once went to their nationals at Crystal Palace, their competitors had to break wood to start the competition off. I think Shukokai and Goju are also good for power techniques.

Thanks Ridgewalk. The Kyokoshin stuff takes me back to when I began karate in the 70s. I started in Shotokan with a brown belt called Drew who had just come out of the paras then I moved to Wado Ryu. The sparring we did then was the way they spar in kyokoshin in that clip. I got disillusioned with karate in terms of fighting but it certainly was tough and the black belts were hard. I've been to watch comps etc at Ponds Forge over the past few years and it seems worlds away from the karate I did. Best Wishes, Noel

• 10 months later...

Archived