Camerons 'Big Society' may mean decimated pensions for public servants

Ok pay Civil Servants a salary equivalent to their counterparts in the private sector

What makes you so sure that private sector pensions are better than public sector?

My friend has just retired from her public sector job, with a whopping pension and is looking forward to making a big purchase with the proceeds, topped up because she retired 2 years late and took redundancy.How that works I've no idea.

On the other hand my oh being self employed has been paying into a private pension all his life that's worth a pittance, not to mention the struggle of keeping up payments whilst out of work.

What makes you so sure that private sector pensions are better than public sector?

My friend has just retired from her public sector job, with a whopping pension and is looking forward to making a big purchase with the proceeds, topped up because she retired 2 years late and took redundancy.How that works I've no idea.

On the other hand my oh being self employed has been paying into a private pension all his life that's worth a pittance, not to mention the struggle of keeping up payments whilst out of work.

My brother retired from teaching aged 60 and took a lump sum in excess of £25K and is currently drawing a pension over £600/week. The pension increases each year, and of course at 65 he gets the state pension on top of that.

But that's meaningless. The "public sector" is so vast it emcompasses countless employees on the minimum wage right up to council chief executives on £200K and upwards.

We also don't know the details of her pension scheme, how long she has been paying in and how much she paid in. Anyone can have a "whopping pension" if its been heavily invested.

Its high time people realised this and stopped generalising and assuming public sector workers have it easy and cushy.

Work hard all your life, build up a decent pension and retire comfortably?

Not if you work in the public services Smarmy Dave wants to privatise in his 'Big Society' plans:

Public sector pensions could be halvedBy Gerri Peev

25 February 2011

Reader comments (143)

Public sector workers could see their 'gold-plated' pensions slashed to make it easier to transfer services to private firms and charities.

Reaction: Unions called the proposal 'extremely provocative' and said it could lead to strikes.

Payments due to hundreds of thousands of nurses, doctors and bin collectors could be cut to less than half under proposals being considered by the Treasury.

The Government wants providers other than the state to take over the running of some services as part of David Cameron's 'Big Society' plan.

But ministers fear the generous final salary schemes paid out to public sector workers would deter all but the biggest firms from doing so.

Last night unions said the proposal was 'extremely provocative' and could lead to a fresh round of strikes if enacted.

Public sector workers have their pensions protected, even if another provider takes over the service, under 'fair deal' rules agreed by Labour in the late 1990s.

But Government sources said these were merely guidelines, and it would not require legislation to tear them up.

The plans would allow a new employer to transfer public sector staff to a less generous contributory scheme where they pay into a pot with no final guarantees.

The proposal - suggested by former Labour work and pensions secretary Lord Hutton - is contained in a consultation document to be published by George Osborne next month. The change would mean a nurse with a final salary of £40,000 could see their pension slashed from £20,000 a year after 30 years' service to £6,000.

A Treasury spokesman said the reform was one of several options which would be put out to consultation for at least three months before any decisions are reached.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/pensions/article.html?in_article_id=523755&in_page_id=6#ixzz1FYGqRdwW

So what do you think of the fact that this is a Labour policy that the current government are considering whether to implement?

I think you are making it up.

I'm just quoting from the O/P

The proposal - suggested by former Labour work and pensions secretary Lord Hutton - is contained in a consultation document to be published by George Osborne next month. The change would mean a nurse with a final salary of £40,000 could see their pension slashed from £20,000 a year after 30 years' service to £6,000.

A Treasury spokesman said the reform was one of several options which would be put out to consultation for at least three months before any decisions are reached.

So this is nothing more than a Labour proposal and is one of several options up for discussion.

Archived