The Parkway - Michael Wood in 1981

Cheers guys, but where was Wood's camerman stood, and what became of the land?

I _think_ the cameraman was somewhere on Catcliffe, High Field Spring Road, and in the panoramic you can see Treeton on the far left. The only way to test that is to take your picture to the site and compare the hills.

Catcliffe is either cleared industrial wasteland, or new light industry factory units.

K.

If you compare the two pics of Orgreave, the panorama looks to have been taken from Treeton side and is looking at the rear of the site, comparing chimney and gasholder position, which would mean the housing is Handsworth.

If you compare the two pics of Orgreave, the panorama looks to have been taken from Treeton side and is looking at the rear of the site, comparing chimney and gasholder position, which would mean the housing is Handsworth.

Fair enough, I'm not going to argue with that. :-)

I was thinking that as there's a fairly substantial hill behind Tinsley golf course, by the ex-airport, the camera must of been looking to the east.

Also, looking to the west, from Treeton, wouldn't you see more housing and city?

K.

I thought that Mr.Wood may have been standing in or above what are the remains of the Anglo-Saxon wood (A- part of today's golf course) and shooting in a S.East direction, but am wondering if he also took shots, or all of them(?) from what is now either the residential estate (B) to the east or what is now the 'quarry'/cliff edge next to it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnny66/5513380412/

I really don't know which parts of the north side of the Parkway have been dug up and changed.

The golf course was created in the 1920's

http://www.tinsleyparkgolfcourse.co.uk/course_information/

From memory, the area around the Parkway in Catcliffe has always been a bit industrial, rather than residential, the coke works were separate, as they did smell. Definite answers could be gleaned from a 1970's OS map of the area. Ask at your local library.

Also, your battle may of been in the Wirral, to the south of Liverpool: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3483029

K.

Thanks, Karl- yes, there are various schools of thought as to the actual battle-site of Brunanburh. The main three, amongst perhaps 40 proposed sites by various scholars (collated by Nick Higham in his 'Age of Athelstan') ranging from Cornwall to Scotland, are Bromborough, Brincliffe area and Burnswark near Scotland.

The debate rages on, but experts say that the battle must have taken place near (or further north?) than the-then fortified border between Mercia and the wilds of Northumbria?

Skallagrimmson, the Icelandic warrior-poet who served King Athelstan at that battle in 937, stated that there was an old Roman fort nearby, with a river by one side of the hill- a big one with a long slope, and a wood on the other.

I thought that Mr.Wood may have been standing in or above what are the remains of the Anglo-Saxon wood (A- part of today's golf course) and shooting in a S.East direction, but am wondering if he also took shots, or all of them(?) from what is now either the residential estate (B) to the east or what is now the 'quarry'/cliff edge next to it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnny66/5513380412/

I really don't know which parts of the north side of the Parkway have been dug up and changed.

I agree , the photos do seem to have been taken from the edge of the Anglo Saxon wood.

Very little remains of any of the open fields around that area , most have been developed for the airport link roads , factories and shopping ( Morrisons).

As a child we used to have names for the paths and fields leading from the wood and down into Catcliffe.. White Path and Chamberlains hill .

Archived