Labour increase majority in Barnsley as Lib Dems lose deposit.

apparently its fairly easy for the local parties to force a leadership contest so a very bad result might be fatal for mr clegg, however, disposing of him is only the first hill to climb, the second one is choosing the next leader, pretty much all the alternatives are mr cleggs orange book buddies. there is, of course, that whoever is chosen there is no real change to the coalitions plans.

given the lack of alternatives, then it's possible that the left end of the lib dems will split and reform the new SDP, which would, hopefully, force labour to up their game.

That the people in Barnsley are thick.

What is the point of making the trip? They would vote Labour even if the Labour MP went round at night robbing their houses.

Can't think for yourself? Need to be told what to do? Vote Labour.

Look at the rest of the country views this. Ed Milliband celebrating, the people of Barnsley central (all not at work) waving cards, what a perfect ad for Labour!

well its not long to the local coucil elections as well, so lets see what happens there. i will predict right now the lib dums will be trounced

Look at the rest of the country views this. Ed Milliband celebrating, the people of Barnsley central (all not at work) waving cards, what a perfect ad for Labour!

Vote Labour and be like Barnsley. (I'm not sure that will play well in the home counties.)

well its not long to the local coucil elections as well, so lets see what happens there. i will predict right now the lib dums will be trounced

Sadly the Lib Dems are like an exercise programme - lots of fun whilst your mates are into it, but when the hard work kicks in you start to turn against it.

The thought of a Labour Council scares me but the lazy work shy people of Sheffield will vote Labour as they think it will get them more money in benefits. I would rather see the Lib Dem Council continue. I cannot stand Julie Dore - her attitude in interviews is very poor and she ducks and dives questions. Scriven may not be everyone's cup of tea but he is straight to the point.

... When was the last time that a governing party lost their deposit in a UK by-election? It was a remarkable result, make no mistake.

Henley 2008, Cheadle 2005, Romsey 2000, Winchester 1997 - all lost deposits for Labour while they were in power.
Just reposting this so that sibon won't miss it amidst the general flurry.

It was a dreadful turnout in the circumstances. Although Labour may have increased their percentage vote, due to supporters of all parties demonstrating their disatisfaction by staying away, the Labour majority was halved from what it was in previous elections, wasn't it?

Sadly the Lib Dems are like an exercise programme - lots of fun whilst your mates are into it, but when the hard work kicks in you start to turn against it.

The thought of a Labour Council scares me but the lazy work shy people of Sheffield will vote Labour as they think it will get them more money in benefits. I would rather see the Lib Dem Council continue. I cannot stand Julie Dore - her attitude in interviews is very poor and she ducks and dives questions. Scriven may not be everyone's cup of tea but he is straight to the point.

When all it will actually give them is no direction (they are unable to say what they would do if they were running the City) and more debt.

You are a plank.

Just reposting this so that sibon won't miss it amidst the general flurry.

It was a dreadful turnout in the circumstances. Although Labour may have increased their percentage vote, due to supporters of all parties demonstrating their disatisfaction by staying away, the Labour majority was halved from what it was in previous elections, wasn't it?

The Lib Dems were TROUNCED!!! Roll on May!:)

Scriven is a puppet like Clegg. About as much credibility as a convict. He always comes across to me as well out of his depth, same as clegg really

Archived