Labour increase majority in Barnsley as Lib Dems lose deposit.

well its not long to the local coucil elections as well, so lets see what happens there. i will predict right now the lib dums will be trounced

A local council has nothing to do with central government. I know lots of people who vote politically in General Elections, but when it comes to the local elections, they vote for a candidate that either has a good record in their area, or who they think might make a difference. My vote in the local elections rarely has anything to do with their political party.

In my voluntary work I've come across a councillor on a regular basis. She is an ordinary person and understands ordinary life. This councillor goes the extra mile for those that need help, and puts in all sorts of hours to do it. I'd vote for her whatever party she represented, but I don't live in her ward.

I'm hopeful that Mr Milliband will come up with something soon about his intentions for sorting out the UK economy. I'm also looking forward to seeing what our local candidates say about the future of Sheffield. I couldn't possibly make up my mind until then.

£250 million is nothing compared to the hundreds of billions wasted with PFI.

And kindly remind us which party it was who introduced PFI?

The Tories hardly used it.

From 1997 onwards it went out of control under Labour.

It's like a slice of cake. The Tories had one slice, but Labour were the fat bird that could not stop eating.

£250 million is nothing compared to the hundreds of billions wasted with PFI.

The Tories hardly used it.

From 1997 onwards it went out of control under Labour.

It's like a slice of cake. The Tories had one slice, but Labour were the fat bird that could not stop eating.

It was only introduced in '92, so they weren't in power to use it.

Plus the Cons didn't believe in building hospitals and schools in the first place or investing in the country's infrastructure.

It was only introduced in '92, so they weren't in power to use it.

Plus the Cons didn't believe in building hospitals and schools in the first place or investing in the country's infrastructure.

Labour made all these promises in 1997 to build new hospitals and schools.

Hospitals and schools were in a mess. Smokers and heavy drinkers were abusing the NHS, kids from council estates were trashing schools. Those on benefits were destroying the benefits for decent hard working people.

Instead of tackling the issue head on the easiest thing to do was use PFI to build new hospitals and schools.

Fast forward to now - new build schools are closing, design faults, still poor discipline in school, NHS still overstretched. And we're still paying for it all.

The Lib Dems were TROUNCED!!! Roll on May!:)
The LD candidate certainly got a kicking, very true. But did anyone doubt that it would happen in that particular place? I mean, come on, it's Barnsley! :)

But I notice you're carefully not commenting on the serious loss of votes for the Labour Candidate ... Labour had a huge majority there until the last few elections, what happened to it? Any ideas?

Perhaps they could form a coalition :rolleyes: Con 1,999 . Lib / Dem 1,012 ……….. nope it looks like that old trick doesn’t help them this time.

Lab 14,724.

Top marks to Tony Devoy, independent ( 1266 ) who also beat the Lib / Dems

labour win in barnsley....shock horror......but who is calling the shots for the next five years....yes old cleggy boy....and smarmy dave...then the lib/con/lab will play musical politics.....and nothing will change.....we survived old maggie and blair...so the future is bright...

The LD candidate certainly got a kicking, very true. But did anyone doubt that it would happen in that particular place? I mean, come on, it's Barnsley! :)

But I notice you're carefully not commenting on the serious loss of votes for the Labour Candidate ... Labour had a huge majority there until the last few elections, what happened to it? Any ideas?

This really is a desperate line to take. Labour has still got a huge majority :hihi:

Archived