Labour increase majority in Barnsley as Lib Dems lose deposit.

A victory? Hmm. Hopefully Dan Jarvis will become part of a credible opposition but halving your vote and continuing the decline over 14 short years looks more like like a massive kick up the arse to me.

Wasn't exactly a victory for The Tories or the Lib Dems now was it?

It's bad news for everybody except Tony Devoy, who saw his vote double as an independent.

Yes that is one story that is not getting mentioned. It just amuses me the way some people try desperately to spin things when elections don't go the way they would like.

UKIP coming 2nd is a bit of a worry until you see they got 12 or 13%.

i doubt that this is the beginning of ukip becoming anything other than amusing sideshow however.....

for a conservative voter unhappy with the coalition, for whatever reason, then ukip would seem to be the only choice for a protest vote so for david cameron then this should be a worry, for everyone else, there is no need to worry

1983 Roy Mason 21,847 votes

1987 Eric Illsley 26,139 votes

1992 Eric Illsley 27,048 votes

1997 Eric Illsley 28,090 votes

2001 Eric Illsley 19,181 votes

2005 Eric Illsley 17,478 votes

2010 Eric Illsley 17,487 votes

2011 Dan Jarvis 14,724 votes

A victory? Hmm. Hopefully Dan Jarvis will become part of a credible opposition but halving your vote and continuing the decline over 14 short years looks more like like a massive kick up the arse to me.

this is a by-election, turnout is always lower, the rest of the decline is just a reflection of the growing abandonment of the political process by the population.

who is he? what does he stand for?

I have absolutely no idea, on both counts.

In the 2010 General Election, two independents stood in Barnsley Central, Devoy being one of them; he got 600-ish votes and the other chap got about 730. This time around, Devoy was the only independent candidate and he got about 1200.

To me it just shows:

1) Barnsley will vote for anyone so long as they have a red rosette, reinforced by the fact their previous MP was a crook.

2) They lack the brains to realise the mess Labour put the country in, yet still vote for them as some kind of perverse punishment to the current ruling party in Westminster, again reinforced by the fact their previous MP was a crook.

3) 6% BNP? That says it all really.

Archived