Labour increase majority in Barnsley as Lib Dems lose deposit.

Apparently Nick Clegg couldn't be bothered to make the 15 mile trip to Barnsley to support their candidate. Now what does that tell us?????

The Tories didn't send out their big hitters either. I suspect that the reason is that they couldn't care less.

Just ask yourself which of the 3 major parties gained most from the by-election?

Labour ended up with another MP in prison and didn't gain a seat. All they gained was bragging rights.

The Lib/Dems neither gained nor lost a seat but lost out in terms of share of the vote.

The Tories neither gained nor lost a seat but probably got something far more important, security.

You can't really imagine the Lib/Dems hankering after a general election at this moment in time. I think it is pretty clear that it wouldn't be pretty for them, and so their best option is to stick with it until the economy picks up. In 4 years they might well be credited with some achievements and be able to claim they had major influences on policy.

In reality Labour got the worst result possible. They gained little but probably strengthened the coalition to the point where the only option for the Libdems is to stick with the coalition or cross the floor to the Tories.

In reality Labour got the worst result possible. They gained little but probably strengthened the coalition to the point where the only option for the Libdems is to stick with the coalition or cross the floor to the Tories.

So the worst result possible is winning an election? The Lib Dems must be chuffed to bits then.

So the worst result possible is winning an election? The Lib Dems must be chuffed to bits then.

Labour gained nothing. Their sitting MP was sent to prison and the safe seat was held by their replacement candidate. Have they reduced the coalition's majority in the commons as a result of yesterday? Do you think that LibDem MPs who are currently earning £65,738 per year plus expenses have been spurred into wanting a quick general election? Do you think yesterday's result has made it any more likely that Labour will be in power before 2015?

Guest sibon
Labour gained nothing. Their sitting MP was sent to prison and the safe seat was held by their replacement candidate. Have they reduced the coalition's majority in the commons as a result of yesterday? Do you think that LibDem MPs who are currently earning £65,738 per year plus expenses have been spurred into wanting a quick general election? Do you think yesterday's result has made it any more likely that Labour will be in power before 2015?

You know what? I think yesterday's result might have a bigger effect than you give it credit for.

If I was earning £65 738 per annum, I'd like to do so for ten years rather than four. That might encourage me to "examine my conscience".

In any case. The Lib Dem leadership will ignore this result at their peril. When was the last time that a governing party lost their deposit in a UK by-election? It was a remarkable result, make no mistake.

You know what? I think yesterday's result might have a bigger effect than you give it credit for.

If I was earning £65 738 per annum, I'd like to do so for ten years rather than four. That might encourage me to "examine my conscience".

In any case. The Lib Dem leadership will ignore this result at their peril. When was the last time that a governing party lost their deposit in a UK by-election? It was a remarkable result, make no mistake.

Labour,winning in Barnsley,remarkable? Really? I'm not sure I'd call it that..

Guest sibon
Labour,winning in Barnsley,remarkable? Really? I'm not sure I'd call it that..

A Government party losing their deposit. That is:)

I'm sure the Lib Dems will put you high up on their list of folks from whom to seek advice.

Here's a question for you. If there were a general election next week how many LibDem MPs do you think would be returned to the House of Commons to earn £65 738 per annum?

I'm sure the Lib Dems will put you high up on their list of folks from whom to seek advice.

Here's a question for you. If there were a general election next week how many LibDem MPs do you think would be returned to the House of Commons to earn £65 738 per annum?

The Lib-Dems will now be seeking miracles, not advice.

Cue the song "The Party's Over"

This thread is hilarious. Making out that that somehow the Libdems coming last behind the BNP, UKIP and an independant, losing their deposit with a vote share of 4% is somehow not that bad............and that Labour have have had the "worst possible result" :huh:

Sorry, not convinced.

Guest sibon
This thread is hilarious. Making out that that somehow the Libdems coming last behind the BNP, UKIP and an independant, losing their deposit with a vote share of 4% is somehow not that bad............and that Labour have have had the "worst possible result" :huh:

Sorry, not convinced.

You should do a search for some of the threads that claim that saying one thing at election time and doing another in Government is OK.

Clearly not a view held by the voters in Barnsley Central.

Archived