David Rotheray Thurs 24th March Plug

jazzamatazz

Thursday 24th March

David Rotheray, ex Beautiful South;

made famous by his wonderful song writing skills and singing for The Beautiful South David Rotherray announces a series of live shows and the release of his first ever solo album Entitled "The Life Of Birds" a modern folk concept album, collaborators on the record include ten different singer/songwriters drawn from the contemporary scene: Kathryn Williams, Alasdair Roberts, Jim Causley, Eliza Carthy, Camille O'Sullivan, Bella Hardy, Julie Murphy, Nat Johnson, Eleanor McEvoy and Jack L.

Eleanor McEvoy's new album "I'd Rather Go Blonde" is the eighth album in a twenty year career that has seen McEvoy establish herself as one of Ireland's most accomplished singer / songwriters. Never one to shy away from the big issues, this album sees McEvoy tackling themes such as alienation, hypocrisy, recent Irish history and romance. The songs are typified by a lyrical élan and often leavened with a touch of humour. "For Avoidance Of Any Doubt" features a plaintive soul using her solicitor to berate an absent lover for not returning calls, and the title track is built around a phrase that just made McEvoy laugh! As she says herself, "I always try to express myself clearly and honestly. I was the odd one, the tubby girl with glasses who had to go to violin lessons after school. The ray of sunlight was the radio with its music. The escape was learning to sing and play instruments and play with others and write and just get out there. Anyway this album is all me, and I am very proud of it."

+ SAM COTTERILL

Venue: Plug, Matilda Street. Sheffield

Doors 7pm, on stage 8.30pm

Box office: 0114 241 3040

• 3 weeks later...

Archived