Violet May's Record Shop

Chris M

Yeah , one of the treasures of Sheffield , sadly disappeared.

I got aload of hard-to-obtain Piaf Records there in the early '60's.

Violet was a character. Is it my imagination or are there less "Violets " around , nowadays ? And if so , why ?

Originally posted by Fareast

Yeah , one of the treasures of Sheffield , sadly disappeared.

I got aload of hard-to-obtain Piaf Records there in the early '60's.

Violet was a character. Is it my imagination or are there less "Violets " around , nowadays ? And if so , why ?

it's not a case of their being less Violet's about, it's just that we are married to them now so they tend not to stand out so much :P

Rlass would have by by the throat if she ever read this :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Well , Owldlad , you ought to be thankfull you're married to a character , however well you keep her hidden from society.

No wonder they've all gone missing! Tucked away in kitchens all over Sheffield ! Selfishness , I call it.

If I knew how to contact her I'd tell her what you've said and watch you get your true desserts--------from a distance !

Well , Owldlad , you ought to be thankfull you're married to a character , however well you keep her hidden from society.

No wonder they've all gone missing! Tucked away in kitchens all over Sheffield ! Selfishness , I call it.

If I knew how to contact her I'd tell her what you've said and watch you get your true desserts--------from a distance !

Thanks pal, now I know why your in the Far East, it's the only safe place for you:P

How long is it since you were "back home" (starts to hum that sodding world cup song) and in which part of the Far East are you living.

Owdlad

I'm in China and I was last in Sheffield at the New Year 2004/2005.

Thanks for that Fareast, come on then fill us in on all the rest of the gossip, why China and which area (it's a big place) and what is it like. For sure it's a long jump from Auntie Violet's.

Owdlad

Well , I don't have a lot of time at the moment. It's 8.p.m. here and I've a bit of work to do. Also , I suppose it's trespassing on Aunty Vi's territory !

But , briefly , I'm a teacher and I'm in a fairly big city [6,000,000] about 2 hours by train , south-west of Beijing.

I've been to China before , for 4 months in a place about 2 hours south-west of Shanghai but I didn't like that particular school.I came back to the U.K. for a year but decided to give it another go out here.I like it at this school. We have about 6 ex-pat teachers but only two of us from the U.K. In the city as a whole there are about 200 ex-pats-----enough to keep 2 or 3 bars going anyway [with a bit of help from the Chinese].

Everything 's on a huge scale here. I've never seen so many blocks of flats and there's loads of building work and economic activity everywhere. The streets and shops are packed. It's not exactly a "fun city " but I suppose they'll soon learn to let their hair down if they watch us for a bit !

Must stop now----tell you more later.

• 9 months later...

Archived