Violet May's Record Shop

Chris M

• 1 month later...

A friend and I are contemplating a booklet reviewing a history of Violet May and her many shops and would like to hear from anyone who had dealings with the lady as a customer, dealer or friend via this site or perhaps direct email - Barkworth

• 1 year later...

Hello you all

I have just had an inkling to type in 'Violet May' into Google to see what comes up.

I was a young 13 year old lad when I worked just behind the moor for Violet in 1970. What an experience!

Its fantastic to hear that others still remember this directly spoken but totally loveable person. I am so sorry to hear of her demise - but given her age and her chain smoking, its hardly surprising.

Does anyone know of the details of her death or where she is buried? I would like to pay my respects.

Kind regards

hillbilly20

It has been great reading all these postings. I was married to Violet Mays granson and am still very much in touch with the family. As such I knew Violet May on a personal level as well. She was a bit of an excentric, we always addressed her as Grandma Barkworth and she was very much the head of the family.

I remember that after she retired she bought a small bungalow but insisted on taking all her furniture from her huge house with her! If you looked on the back of furniture and pictures in her home you could see the names of who would receive them after she had gone. She would say to us if you like put your name on it.

Only yesterday I tried to blag some old vinyl from my ex-husband because he inherited all her stock, he told me where to go! Apparently its worth a fortune.

She has been greatly missed.

blast form the past violet mays brill ,someone said all the shops are the same you are right there. i was so sad when retuned back to sheffield after 10yrs ,i did not expet the place to be the same ,but i did expet a lot of improvements there was that alright why so many hotels ,there was the lovely gardens greart for the kids on a hot day then you have the big green house with 2 big hotels next to it which kills the efect.some parts have not changed but the pubs have were are all the proper pubs in the city (yorkshire man now could the lamb and lire got that right) glad i was only there for a few days

• 4 months later...

My first visit to Violet Mays was when my grandad and grandma gave me a load of old 78 records,i didnt have a clue what to do with them so my mother took me to Violet Mays with them and she swaped then for two 45 singles,one was Cum on feel the noize(spelt as on the lable) by Slade and the other was My ding a ling by Chuck Berry so the year must have been 1973. i can just about remember the trip when i got there i was looking through a box of singles on the counter, Violet said i wouldnt look through them you wont understand them,(to this day i dont know what the records was) then she asked what music i liked i said slade just because they were in the charts at the time and i loved the top 20. Thats why i became a dj. i must have been around severn at the time.

PopT, if my memory serves me correctly, Violet's first shop was at the location you mention (City Rd/ Duke St), then she moved to her South St location which is where she became well known. I used to go there regularly to buy old traditional jazz records, as I played in a Sheff Univ jazz band in the 60s. What a great selection of oldies she had.

I started this thread a few years ago - great to see the recent comments.

Only last week I dusted off a demo Willie Mitchell LP I remember getting from Violet . I seem to recall I got it for less than a quid.

Great days

Chris

Archived