How important are The Arts to our childrens education

Don't schools and colleges still offer music, art and drama at GCSE and A Level?

I'm all for promotion of the arts but sadly in the current climate they're being hard hit. Most people don't see them as valuable, which is incredibly short-sighted. Arts degrees tend to get put into the 'useless' category by people who think that you should only get an education in order to secure a fat salary.

Don't schools and colleges still offer music, art and drama at GCSE and A Level?

I'm all for promotion of the arts but sadly in the current climate they're being hard hit. Most people don't see them as valuable, which is incredibly short-sighted. Arts degrees tend to get put into the 'useless' category by people who think that you should only get an education in order to secure a fat salary.

I do think that young people should have some direction though as to what career they actually want. My daughter is 15 and I am always talking to her about this. She wont have the luxury of being able to spend 4 or 5 years on a subject and then come out of it not knowing what job she wants to do.I just wouldnt be able to support her for that long!.

There is a balance between doing a job that you enjoy and earning enough to pay for the things you need in life and I just dont think( unless you became really famous) that a career on the stage is going to get that for her.

Every school should put on a performance or play - each year group, each year.

The problem is the Children's Festival. Schools are dictated to when and where they do it. Only one or two year groups get to do it. Practice is done after school when not all pupils can access it.

The arts don't need money in schools. Any good teacher should be able to incorporate art, music and drama into lessons. A literacy lesson could be writing a script for a play.

A message needs to be sent to schools telling them it is OK to do plays. Scrap the Children's Festival and concentrate on plays in the school hall. There are kids performing in theatres before they have even performed in a school hall.

Obviously other things take priority. But many private schools are able to put on shows, performances and still be very academic with targets / work etc.

I do think that young people should have some direction though as to what career they actually want. My daughter is 15 and I am always talking to her about this. She wont have the luxury of being able to spend 4 or 5 years on a subject and then come out of it not knowing what job she wants to do.I just wouldnt be able to support her for that long!.

There is a balance between doing a job that you enjoy and earning enough to pay for the things you need in life and I just dont think( unless you became really famous) that a career on the stage is going to get that for her.

Most people I know who are involved in theatre either do it part-time round other jobs, do it for fun (and free) in their spare time, or work in the drama departments at schools or universities (or both).

At the moment there isn't a degree in the country that will guarantee you a job, so if it was my daughter I'd be encouraging her to do what she most wants to do regardless of the prospects. If she's only 15 there's still a while to go, anyway...

Most people I know who are involved in theatre either do it part-time round other jobs, do it for fun (and free) in their spare time, or work in the drama departments at schools or universities (or both).

At the moment there isn't a degree in the country that will guarantee you a job, so if it was my daughter I'd be encouraging her to do what she most wants to do regardless of the prospects. If she's only 15 there's still a while to go, anyway...

Yes but when she chooses her subjects for A levels wont it be important to choose the right subjects that will get her in a university and therefore she will need to know what degree she wants to do, so therefore will need to have an idea what kind of career she wants.

I know it seems a long way off but it all goes very quickly.

Yes but when she chooses her subjects for A levels wont it be important to choose the right subjects that will get her in a university and therefore she will need to know what degree she wants to do, so therefore will need to have an idea what kind of career she wants.

I know it seems a long way off but it all goes very quickly.

Well, up to a point. But I have a friend who did medicine at university who did English and Drama A level as well as the science requirements.

Most courses, as far as I'm aware, have a points requirement overall and then, depending on the course, there might be one, or maybe two, specific subjects. Depending on how academic/motivated the student is (and how flexible the school or college) that still gives some leeway with the other subjects.

Well, up to a point. But I have a friend who did medicine at university who did English and Drama A level as well as the science requirements.

Most courses, as far as I'm aware, have a points requirement overall and then, depending on the course, there might be one, or maybe two, specific subjects. Depending on how academic/motivated the student is (and how flexible the school or college) that still gives some leeway with the other subjects.

so would that have been 4 A levels then?:help:

so would that have been 4 A levels then?:help:

Yep. Actually five, since everyone had to take general studies too. Perfectly possible if your institution is supportive and you're motivated.

[in the interests of full disclosure, I started doing four - at a different institution - and gave one of them up after half a term because it was too much work. But then I was also working (for money) for 15 hours a week as well. And I am lazy and lack motivation.

Archived