How important are The Arts to our childrens education

This is why I feel so blessed to have been able to home educate my children.

They have been able to do the things that interest them and be happy. The home ed group tend to do a lot of activities around drama and art, and even most activities such as the history club have dressing up, role play and making things as a big part of the way they learn.

The system is naturally inflexible, so I am glad to be outside the system. The problem comes when you want to opt back in, my daughter and I went to Hillsborough college on Thursday to look at her going there for A levels. After speaking to her for a while, the admissions officer said she would be happy to accept her from September 2011, but she is only 16 at the end of September, so because of the way the system works, it looks as though there is no funding available for her, which means basically she will have to spend a year twiddling her thumbs until she reaches the age they think is normal to be learning A levels :/

sad that we have targets for 5 year olds though.

It depends if you mean targets the teacher sets to extend the child's learning in the year or targets set by the school that the teachers have to meet... Teachers setting small targets for children to meet are useful in my opinon. Level targets set when you first meet them at the beginning of the year, to achieve by the end, are not. They take no account of the fact that children learn at very different rates, especially at this age.

Archived