Scooter clubs in the 50's

jmdee

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I did look to see. In the late 50's and early 60's, scooter clubs were very prolific. As memory serves, there were the Sheffield Scooter Club, which met at the George on Langsett Rd. this one I belonged to, also there were Vespa and Lambretta clubs, and probably others.

There was one major meeting, probably in 1959, where all clubs got together and had a jamboree kind of thing. I remember riding through town along with probably 100 or so others in convoy, with the bobbies stopping traffic at all the major intersections to let the parade go by. Good days.

Taken from the September edition of Scootering magazine ( http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/sheffield.jpg ) it shows Sheffield Scooter Clubs in September 1961 at some do in Sheffield

There are still clubs round Sheffield, Yorkshire and the rest of the UK, it would be good to hear from anyone who has been in any of the clubs over the years.

Jase

Wide Boys Lambretta Club

We used t meet at the Queens Hotel on Scotland Street every week and enjoy a run out on the Sunday in the winter

In the summer we had a short run in mid week n a longer 1 on sunday

we used t meet on the Foresters car park ( a pub on Division Sreet)before sttin of on a run.

Ii joined the Sheffield Lambretta club in 1958 with a LD model we met at the Travelers pub on the Moor it included Rotherham members who if I remember rightly moved to form their own club, we then met at the Big Tree Woodseats by then I had a150 LI model, I have a 150 LI now i restored it some years ago but only cover around 300 miles yearly when on the club runs we did almost that in a day. Ii left the club in 1963 and bought a car still see a few of the members. My only claim to fame was winning the rough ride at Hunstanton [Norfolk] in 1959 still have a small silver cup this was organised by the Kings Lynn Scooter club happy days. :clap:

Archived